G5 iMac will not boot. Now i get the blue screen of death!

F

Fallooza

So i wake up today and turn on my iMac. Everything was fine till i tryed ta open the Finder. it magnified the icon then froze magnified. i could still moove the mouse but nothing would work. So i held in the power button ta shut it off. After having the same thing happen 4-5 times i tryed again but unpluged everything except the mouse. Now i get the blue screen off death. Now i dont have any idea of what ta do or what is wrong witrh it. Thanks for the help.

20" G5 iMac 2 Ghz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Try starting up from your restore CD and do a repair disk and permissions

OP
F

Fallooza

i put the disc in and rebooted but still the blue screen. am i doing it wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
are you holding down the C key?

OP
F

Fallooza

ok i an at the intro. now what? i am at the irc if ya want ta atlk ther. i am sure i will need step by step instructions

OP
F

Fallooza

ok it still isnt working. i can boot in safe mode and i have an unusual folder in the trash named:

with 9 items in it named:
annex_aux
annex.db
filetoken.db
FoundResourceCache
fonts.db
Local.fcache
qdfams.db
system.fcache
User.Fcache

I did do a permisions repair before safe mode

and after rebooting again in safe mode i see anouther folder named:
but it is empty
also my startup folder is empty and i dont think it should be.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
How did you get a blue screen of death? I was under the impression that macs don't even have one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
perhaps he means the spinning beach ball of death?

OP
F

Fallooza

sevenhelmet said:
How did you get a blue screen of death? I was under the impression that macs don't even have one...
after the gray screen with the apple and the spinny thing under it it went ta a total blue screen. all light blue and nothing else but the fans full blast

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
so the imac is completely dead?

OP
F

Fallooza

macAttack said:
so the imac is completely dead?
yes, after loads of help in the IRC last night it is official. My iMac is dead. even after a hole fresh install i still get the blue screen of death. I would like ta thank everyone that helped. Now my only option in ta get ahold of Apple and see what they will do. Ill keep everyone informed on what happens.

OP
F

Fallooza

Fallooza said:
yes, after loads of help in the IRC last night it is official. My iMac is dead. even after a hole fresh install i still get the blue screen of death. I would like ta thank everyone that helped. Now my only option in ta get ahold of Apple and see what they will do. Ill keep everyone informed on what happens.

Ok here is an update. My first call ta Apple i was hungup on before i talked ta a real person.

The second call after getting ahold of a real person (which was very fast) the first thing they did was try ta sell me Apple Care. I quickly told him that i didnt need ta trouble shoot it and didnt need AC.

He then told me i needed ta take it to a authorised Apple seller.

I told him that i didnt have one in town and they were all too far away.

He told me that a CompUSA was only 30 miles away.

I said it was too far and wanted to send it in ta Apple and have them look at it.

He basicaly told me i would have to take it in somewhere and i couldnt just send it in.

So i told him that ive done everything posable to get it working and didnt want to go through a 3rd party, i said I bought it strait from Apple so i wouldnt have to deal with a 3rd party.

He told be that they were Apple certified techs and not realy a 3rd party bla bla bla bla.

I then(still very calm and relaxed) started telling him how i thought the customer service would be better that this, and how i didnt like how Apple pushes me off to CompUSA instead of leting me send it in and them fixing it.

He them started telling me that it would be the fastest way ta get it fixed but if i got AC and they could pin point the problem, they would send someone to me house to fix it.

Now i figured that ive tryed everything posable to get it workin (and yes trav i did change the RAM and still blue) so i dont think they would be able to pin point it. So i asked if they didnt pin point it i would still have to take it to a 3rd party before i could send it in.

He said if they couldnt pi point it then i would still have to take it in.

Now im getting pizzed off but i still stay calm. I told him i was disgusted at how Apples customer service was and that i paid $2500 for a computer 5 months ago that is now a paper weight. I said that CompUSA was in Illinois and i lived in Wisconsin and that it was a big problem for me ta have to go that far away and that i now have no idea as to when it will be able to be fixed or looked at.

He basicaly had nothing to say but he was sorry.

I told him i knew if wasnt his fault but i thought i was buying a computer through Apple so i didnt have to deal with 3rd partys. so i would get better costomer service, and that i didnt feel Apple cared about me as a customer. I told him if this is how it works then this is how it works but i would have to second guess buying another Apple product. I then thanked him and we both hung up.

Now i guess i call the closest Apple store or resaler.

wow this must be my longest post every! Sorry for and miss spelled words and run on senteces. I cant figure out how to check my spelling on XP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Wow. Totally Amazing.

OP
F

Fallooza

I called compUSA ta make an apointment ta take it in.

The guy told me it is first come first serve, I could drop it off and they could probably ship it back ta me. So sinse i dont have the time ta drive there today before i goes ta work, ill do it in the morn.

OP
F

Fallooza

Fallooza said:
I called compUSA ta make an apointment ta take it in.

The guy told me it is first come first serve, I could drop it off and they could probably ship it back ta me. So sinse i dont have the time ta drive there today before i goes ta work, ill do it in the morn.

looks like my house and CompUSA are almost on the same road just 43 miles away from each other. Looks like an easy drive (finaly one for the good guys).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.