Mac Windows and hard drive

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm buying the latest MacBook Pro 15" with a 128GB SSD.
Of course, I'll need an external drive. Another thing to point out is that I've always been a Windows user and I want to switch to Mac but still run Windows 7 on a Virtual PC Box.

Here are my questions:
1. Should my external drive be formatted in NTFS or HFS+ ? I think in NTFS, my Mac would not be able to write to it, right?
2. Can I put my virtual PC box file of Windows 7 on the external drive ? Will this affect performance ? (depending if it's connected via USB2 or firewire?)
3. If I'm using a virtual pc box with Windows 7 on my Mac OS, will I be able to write and read files on the Windows 7 Machine via Mac OS and vice versa?
4. If my external drive is formatted in HFS+, will it be possible for any Windows OS to read files on the external drive?

I have no clue to what I need and what I can achieve and if I'll be using more the Windows 7 OS or the Mac OS. If you can answer or point out other things to consider, please let me know.

Also, any good post reference that I should look at for someone who's new to switching from Mac to PC?

Thank you very much
Regards,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.