G4 Graphite graphics card upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1 Dual Quadcore 2.8GHz 12GB Snow Leopard / G4 PowerMac (AGP/Sawtooth), 1.4GHz 2GB Leopard
The Rage 128Pro graphics card in my old G4 Graphite (Sawtooth / AGP Graphics, running Leopard) is getting a bit long in the tooth. It does its job well enough, but the bearings in its cooling fan are failing - every now and then it serenades me with a plaintive bit of whale music :D

So I'm looking to do a bit of an upgrade, and I figured that in doing so, I might as well get a card with dual-display support. I've got two monitors, and right now one of them is sitting idle.

I'm not willing to spend a fortune on this (a Radeon 9800 for £200? I think not!), so I've been hunting around for something that will fit the bill but not break the bank. I don't do gaming or anything very graphics-intensive. A bit of Photoshop and some basic video editing is about my limit.

I've noticed that the nVidia GeForce2 MX Twin View (Mac edition) can be obtained pretty cheaply as a 2nd hand/refurbished item from reputable resellers. I'm reasonably sure that this card will be compatible with my machine, but before I take the plunge, I'd be grateful if anyone here can give me chapter and verse on it.

Cheers,
Ken

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1 Dual Quadcore 2.8GHz 12GB Snow Leopard / G4 PowerMac (AGP/Sawtooth), 1.4GHz 2GB Leopard
Wow, I've lit a real firestorm of debate with this thread, haven't I? :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.