Lion With Aperture 3

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:
Just a new convert over to MAC.
Looking at purchasing Aperture 3.
But.
Have been reading alot of negative reports concerning "Aperture 3 & OSX Lion"
Saying Aperture 3 running very slow, has anyone encountered this problem, and your advise on moving on from iPhoto to Aperture, I do have a DSLR and very keen on photography, have been using in the past Painshop Pro X2 & PS-Elements 8.
Looking at Aperture 3, I believe I would get alot out of this software, and I do like the Places feature.

Any advice will be well received.

John R McNally
Newcastle on Tyne
UK

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi Everyone:
Just a new convert over to MAC.
Looking at purchasing Aperture 3.
But.
Have been reading alot of negative reports concerning "Aperture 3 & OSX Lion"
Saying Aperture 3 running very slow, has anyone encountered this problem, and your advise on moving on from iPhoto to Aperture, I do have a DSLR and very keen on photography, have been using in the past Painshop Pro X2 & PS-Elements 8.
Looking at Aperture 3, I believe I would get alot out of this software, and I do like the Places feature.

Any advice will be well received.

John R McNally
Newcastle on Tyne
UK

I have not noticed any slowdown with Aperture 3 since I upgraded to Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
When doing the 30 day trial, be sure to exhaust each and every one of the editing options. While you may not necessarily use brushes in your current workflow, this doesn't mean you won't at a later time. There most definitely is an issue running A3 with Lion, but it isn't always apparent. Try and put it through the paces, and see how you get on with it and how it gets on with your current configuration.

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
When doing the 30 day trial, be sure to exhaust each and every one of the editing options. While you may not necessarily use brushes in your current workflow, this doesn't mean you won't at a later time. There most definitely is an issue running A3 with Lion, but it isn't always apparent. Try and put it through the paces, and see how you get on with it and how it gets on with your current configuration.

Doug

Doug,
Where does it show up? (Just curious because I haven't seen the issue . . . but I may not be using the features that are bogging down.)

EDIT: I just did some searching and saw a lot of comments regarding issues with Aperture 3 and Lion . . . from my quick read it seemed most fell in the area of 1) Color (non support of Adobe RGB) and 2) Library mgt with referenced Libraries. If true, I can see why I haven't noticed. I use sRGB and let Aperture handle the files in its internal folders.

OP
J
Reaction score
Cheers Doug & Razormac:
Doug that is good sound advice, I will put it through it's paces using as many tools/brushes as I can possibly fit in, putting away lots of copied images just to work on "Test Run" using Aperture 3.

John Mac.
UK.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Remember people are always quicker to complain than to praise, thats why you read a lot of issue with it. I have used Aperture since 1.5 and love it

OP
J
Reaction score
Cheers Del:
What I will do possibly later today, or tomorrow at latest, download Aperture 3 for it's 30 free trial and test it out.
Looking on the Apple site and reading up on Aperture, also looking at all the short video's, "It Looks Great To Me"

I will also be looking around on youTube for video tutorials that Aperture Enthuisiasts have submitted.

John Mac
UK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.