Problem connecting to windows server 2003 via my macs after I have had a New BT 2wire

Reaction score
Hi all ,I am new to this forum and not very sure networking macs to PC 2003 server.

Problem connecting to windows server 2003 via my macs after I have had a New BT 2wire router.

The problem is ,a new BT router has been installed and since then we have had problems with the IP configuration to the Agfa plating machine and the 252 Printer.

The only thing that has changed after the new router was installed was it had a different DEFAULT GATEWAY and IP ADDRESSES. (192.168.1.254)

The older router had 192.168.0.1 Default Gateway and the printer and plating machine IP addresses where set to suit that range. (plating 192.168.0.101 – printer 192.168.0.200)

The Printer was connected to the router via a network switch and to the Apple Macs, and the Plating machine was connected to a Windows 2003 server also connected to the Router.

We have had the Macs and the PC ‘s IP addresses reconfigured to suit the new routers range.192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253.

The problem we are having is the plating machine won’t alow the Macs or the server to connect using the new IP settings but it will connect to the server if we reconfigure back to the old settings,this gives us a problem with the Apple macs that need to be connected to the plating machine and they won’t because they are set to the new routers IP range.

We have looked to see if there was any way to reconfigure the plating machines IP address to suit the router but could not find anything.

Would this setup work if we were to setup 2 IP ADDRESSES to the one NIC card on the server and both the Apple Macs that need to access the plating..

Eg. 1st address set to DHCP 192.168.1.64 - 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.1.254

2nd manual 192.168.0.100 - 255.255.255.0 address to suit the settings that seem to work fine with the plating machine.

I tried these 2 ip addresses yesterday and the ducucolor 252 printer worked fine ,but still could not connect to the server.

The macs have OSX 10.6. . . AND 10.2. . .
With the new 2 ip addresses set on the macs and the windows server 2003 it shows a green light on the mac 10.6. . . saying its connected in the NETWORK Settings ,but when I go to the PC windows 2003 server and click to run the server which is connected to a Agfa Azura c85 plating machine which we use for printing ,it says Server not available.

Before the new router was installed most things worked fine with the mac with OSX 10.2 . . ,with Docucolor 252 printer and the Agfa azura plating machine,the mac with the OSX 10.6. . worked fine with the Docucolor 252 printer but not with the windows server 2003 Agfa plating machine.

Does anyone here have any idea what I can do to fix these problems.

ps.I can work my way around PC setups ok but need a detailed guide to configure the macs.

Please help if you can..

Cheers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have run into this with older HP laser printers and someone changing a clients router. Some of the older stuff has a very limited IP Range and can't work on a different range or Subnet. I have a feeling the Plating machine is that way.

What is the model of the 2Wire router you just got? With all the routers I own you can put in a different IP Range for the DHCP server. If I am right and the Plating machine wants a range of 192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.1.1 then that would solve it.

Give me the router model please so I can check the manual.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have run into this with older HP laser printers and someone changing a clients router. Some of the older stuff has a very limited IP Range and can't work on a different range or Subnet. I have a feeling the Plating machine is that way.

What is the model of the 2Wire router you just got? With all the routers I own you can put in a different IP Range for the DHCP server. If I am right and the Plating machine wants a range of 192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.1.1 then that would solve it.

Give me the router model please so I can check the manual.

Many thanks for replying to my problem.I will check the model number of the router and get back to you.Cheers.

OP
C
Reaction score
Router Model is 2WIRE 2701 HGV-C.
Would you have a link for detail instructions to change the default IP settings from 192.168.1.254 gateway and router range 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253
to the old router settings 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254
Many thanks
Paul.....
[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You should be able to access the router menu with the 192.168.1.254 and then enter
the password to make changes to settings ,if you have not changed the password it will be located on the modem in the form of a sticker.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok, I own one of them I keep in reserve. I hooked it up to my iBook and gave it a try. You can select Manual and put in that IP Range.

First, log into the router with a web browser. You can use http://gateway.2wire.net and that will get you in even if you are not sure of the routers IP.

Once at the menu, Click on the Home Network Tab. Then click on Advanced Settings. It probably will ask for the Routers Password to get to the Network Tab and for sure for the Advanced settings. Like the other poster said, 2Wire usually has it on the label on the bottom.

You should see Private network with a lot of settings. There are 3 IP Ranges you can select and Configure Manually. Select Configure Manually. Put in the IP Range you want. So enter 192.168.0.1. The Subnet Mask should fill in. Be sure you do not uncheck Enable DHCP. For the DHCP address make the first one 192.169.0.2 and the 2nd box 192.168.0.254.

Scroll down to the bottom and hit Save. After that since the router will be on a different IP Range, you will loose connection. Refresh all the computers so they get a new IP. Your Plating machine should now work as the router will be in the IP Range where it worked before.

If you have issues get back to us. Let us know if that solves it for you.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, I own one of them I keep in reserve. I hooked it up to my iBook and gave it a try. You can select Manual and put in that IP Range.

First, log into the router with a web browser. You can use http://gateway.2wire.net and that will get you in even if you are not sure of the routers IP.

Once at the menu, Click on the Home Network Tab. Then click on Advanced Settings. It probably will ask for the Routers Password to get to the Network Tab and for sure for the Advanced settings. Like the other poster said, 2Wire usually has it on the label on the bottom.

You should see Private network with a lot of settings. There are 3 IP Ranges you can select and Configure Manually. Select Configure Manually. Put in the IP Range you want. So enter 192.168.0.1. The Subnet Mask should fill in. Be sure you do not uncheck Enable DHCP. For the DHCP address make the first one 192.169.0.2 and the 2nd box 192.168.0.254.

Scroll down to the bottom and hit Save. After that since the router will be on a different IP Range, you will loose connection. Refresh all the computers so they get a new IP. Your Plating machine should now work as the router will be in the IP Range where it worked before.

If you have issues get back to us. Let us know if that solves it for you.

Many Thanks for your Help and time ,I will give it ago the weekend.I will let you know how I get on.

One more question, With the Mac with OSX 10.2. . ALWAYS conected to the plating machine and Printer with no problems on the old router settings,but the mac with OSX 10.6. . had problems connecting to the with the plating machine,would that be a problem with Windows 2003 Server Local Policies: Security Options.???

Thanks again.
Paul.......

OP
C
Reaction score
Many Thanks for your Help and time ,I will give it ago the weekend.I will let you know how I get on.

One more question, With the Mac with OSX 10.2. . ALWAYS conected to the plating machine and Printer with no problems on the old router settings,but the mac with OSX 10.6. . had problems connecting to the with the plating machine,would that be a problem with Windows 2003 Server Local Policies: Security Options.???

Thanks again.
Paul.......

Many Thanks,changing the Routers default IP'S worked a treat on all macs apart from OSX 10.6.2 Its still wont connect to the plating machine.

Thanks for you help.I guess Windows 2003 server has problems with OSX 10.6.2.I am still working on this one.

Many Thanks...
Paul...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.