Finder wants to make changes.

Reaction score
Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this.

Mac lion os x.

The above message comes when you try to change the name of folder or files.

Please help to remove this message.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This happens so you don't change something unexpectedly. The way to get rid of the message is to put in your password.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Sorry ill explain it better for you then.
By Default there are certain system files/folders that you can't change things or delete them without putting in your Admin Password.

What sort of files are they ??

Now if it isn't a System file/folder you will need to change the Permissions to it.
Right click the file/folder the 'get info' and see what the permissions are set for.

Hope that helps a little more.

Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
I am trying to change the name of a folder which is an ordinary folder not a system folder. If any folder's name I try to change it asks for password. for deletion it does not ask for it. This happened after I upgraded to Lion Os x.
Thanks and Please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you make a hard copy of Lion ??

If not all good. But i would try Repairing Permissions via Disk Utility.
Open Du and select yourHD in the left column. Make sure the First Aid tab is clicked then hit Repair Permissions. Sit back have a coffee. Don't worry about the log window with all the errors. Once done log out then back in and see what happens.
HTH

Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
I did that.
It did not work.
Then I booted with boot able disk.
Again restarted in normal manner.
Created new user account and tried but failed.
Deleted the user account.
Disabled the root in directory option.
Changed name of the user and gave the same name (I think but not sure) as it was before I had upgraded to lion.

And surprisingly now it works. I have no idea which part did the trick.

Earlier I could not rename the principal folders which were in Macintosh hard drive. However, the files and folders in side those folders I could rename.

Thanks for your timely help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.