uninstalling mac store demo software

Reaction score
I have a macbook with the store demo software on it. evertime you reset it it reverts all the settings back to how they were in the store and deletes all downloaded programs. can anyone please help me delete this and restore the computer permanently.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you need to take it back to the Apple Store. If they sold you a floor model, it doesn't sound as though they prepped it for you properly.

OP
H
Reaction score
I want to know how to do it my self. I'm sure its somewhere in the terminal commands?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to know how to do it my self. I'm sure its somewhere in the terminal commands?

It just seems odd to me that an Apple Store would sell a floor model this way. Can you tell us a bit more about how you came across this machine?

OP
H
Reaction score
anyway back to my question. you have almost 22,00 posts you must know something about this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it didn't come with the original OS discs, I'd say there's not much you're going to be able to do with it. I'd also be more than a little concerned that it's "hot".

OP
H
Reaction score
It did come with the disks. Why do you think it would be stolen. Can't they trace them anyway?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it came with the original discs, then my concerns are unfounded. Assuming something hasn't been done to prevent the machine from being booted from the system discs, I would do a clean install of the OS.

Pop in System Disc 1, turn the machine off. Turn the machine back on, press and hold the Option key. Continue holding it until you see the disc pop up as an available boot device.

Boot from the disc, the installer will start. Proceed through the first few prompts until you see the Menu bar appear at the top of the screen. Click the Utilities menu, choose "Disk Utility". Select Macintosh HD from the left window pane, then choose the Erase tab. Proceed to erase the disk. When this is complete, you can continue to run through the install.

That ought to do the trick. Disc 2 will contain the iLife suite and optional installs. Good luck and sorry for jumping to conclusions, it just sounded a bit suspect to me.

OP
H
Reaction score
indeed it does. no worries. and thanks for the help. is there any way to do it using terminal commands

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, I don't believe it's as easy as issuing some terminal commands. If it was, I'd bet you'd see a fair number of Macs in the Apple Store hacked ;)

OP
H
Reaction score
still no luck guys I'm trying it via usb thumb drive and it won't pop up only mac hd and recovery hd. i reinstalled and it still had the demo software on there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Boot from the Recovery HD and then follow the screen prompts, it should have an option somewhere to reinstall the OS.

OP
H
Reaction score
I did that and it still didn't work? does the thumb drive have to be formatted any special way to install lion or should it just have the big lion logo on there like it does?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.