No HDD Detected - Disk Utility

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for your time in helping me!

I am trying to install Mac OS X on a MacBook that is from 2006. The Disk Utility starts up just fine, the only problem is that on the 'Select a Destination' section, no drives appear. On the Utilities>Disk Utility, the only drive that shows up is the DVD drive.

The previous owner says that others may have tried to look at it but to no avail. Unfortunatel,y Apple products are unbeknownst to me so I'm sorry! ANy help would be greatly appreciated, guys. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some more info is needed:

Are you booting from the OS X installation DVD? What version of OS X?

Possible reasons why the hard drive does not show up:

1. No hard drive is installed

2. hard drive is installed but defective

3. EMI protectors are not in place

4. SATA cable from hard drive connector to logic board is defective.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes I'm booting from the Mac OS X Disc 1 DVD. I'm sorry I don't know what version it is, how would I go about finding it? In the meantime, I found a guide on how to reseat the HDD so I'll try that first. It's an original drive if that helps. Are MacBook's from around 2006 known for faulty drives?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any hard drive that is 5 years old is suspect. The 2006 MacBooks were the first run of the series of Intel MacBooks that lasted until the mid 2010 model. They have since been discontinued.

Can't you look on the disk you're booting with and tell us which version of OS X it is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And it MUST be disc one of the set that came with that particular machine when new, not a disc from a different machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.