iTunes permission trouble after system move to optibay SSD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2006 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 15"
Hi all,
I recently switched my boot drive over to an SSD drive that I installed in my old SATA optical space. After I cloned the original system, I moved everything but my users folder to the SSD and the transition was smooth for the most part.

The only problem that I've been having is with iTunes permissions, it gives me the old "you don't have enough access privileges for this operation" alert right off the bat every time, and music from my old accounts, including accounts that existed years ago with non-existent email addresses are asking me for account authorizations. My security verifications and old passwords are not being recognized, and I'm wondering what is triggering this.

The iTunes store has every song in my purchase history across the 3 accounts, and gives me an error I've never seen before (attachment)

I've tried changing permissions but I'm not sure what else I can do. Can I at least get my old passwords somewhere?

Has anyone else encountered problems like this who has done a bootdrive switch?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 9.04.16 PM.png

Reaction score
Me Too

I actually just joined the forums, because I am having the exact same issue. I have verified and reset permissions on my boot disc on multiple occasions, and still no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will work on it in the meantime, and post a solution if I find it.

Reaction score
Ok. I have solved it for my problem. Hopefully it works on yours. You have to make sure that you have the correct permission settings for your HDD. Wheel, System, Administrators, and your username (assuming it's in the admin group) all need to be set to 'read and write'. In addition, the box that says 'ignore ownership' should be checked. I think that should open it up for you. If not, let me know, and I'll retrace more steps.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I solved my issue as well, but I went about it a different way. I found an article online that told me that the problem was because my "shared" folder in the Home Folder went missing after the move, and I had to go into the terminal and type a sudo command to recreate one. After doing that and a reboot all problems went away. Does Safari open unexpectedly after startup for you? Thats the only other quirk that I'm dealing with, but every computer may be different in this situation.

Reaction score
No... No issues with Safari; however, Lion opens up every single program that was open when you shut down AND brings you back to the same tabs, as well.

Good call on the terminal route. The Sudo Command didn't work for me by itself. That's when I had to manually (but less manually than terminal (?) ) adjust the permissions.

In any case, aside from your Safari glitch, I'd say this has been a successful journey. Glad I joined the forums lol.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you have to switch the "read and write" permissions for just the iTunes folder, or every artist?

Reaction score
You have to make sure that you have the correct permission settings for your HDD. Wheel, System, Administrators, and your username (assuming it's in the admin group) all need to be set to 'read and write'. In addition, the box that says 'ignore ownership' should be checked. I think that should open it up for you. If not, let me know, and I'll retrace more steps.

Would you mind elaborating a bit on what you did? When you say the HDD, do you mean your system drive, or the drive to where your new Home folder resides? Is this just for the root level of this drive, or were there specific folders? Also, what do you mean by "Wheel"?

I ask because I gave read/write privileges to 'everyone' for the root level of the drive, but still am having the itunes permission issue pop up.

Apologies if I'm a dummy, and thanks! This was driving me crazy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.