Hard drive full warning when not even close to full !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA, 17" MBP, 21.5" iMac, iPad2, iPhone4, AirportExtreme, AppleTV
I'm stumped and I need some help!!!

I received a warning that my hd is full. I right click on hd in finder and it says capacity 499.25GB, available 2.55 GB. I check each subfolder (users, library, system, apps, rescued, etc) and it only adds up to less then 200GB, which should be accurate. My trash is emptied as well.

I tried OmniDiskSweeper as well. When it starts in the drive list it says 2.3 GB free, 462.4 GB used, 465.0 GB total... when i run a sweep on the drive, it only finds just under 200 GB?

Any help is greatly appreciated...:(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would guess that somehow the swap file (used for virtual memory) has ballooned out of control.

I'm not sure if Onyx will do this, but AppleJack certainly will (which is handy to have on any Mac). It's used in Single User mode and is command line only, but really isn't that difficult to use. Make sure you put it in AutoPilot mode:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If the swap file is out of control, then a reboot of your system would take care of it. it is also possible that the issue could your cache folder ( users -> XXXX -> library -> Caches ) is bloaded.

Reaction score
I received a warning that my hd is full. I right click on hd in finder and it says capacity 499.25GB, available 2.55 GB... when i run a sweep on the drive, it only finds just under 200 GB?

It sounds as if you have a cache or a log file that is out of control.

See:
Out-Of-Control Cache or Log File.
(and ignore the fact that this is a site for Entourage users) :cool:

OP
lvd76
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried Onyx, did not work. Tried restarting, no luck. Just tried Disk Inventory X and no luck either, although it did say the total usage of my HD was 177.4 GB and in Finder it is saying 3.5 MB free out of 500 GB.

OP
lvd76
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Resolved!!!

I went to a terminal window and checked the directory sizes on the hard drive. I noticed users folder said it was 390 GB. After digging down it was a corrupt mail folder on a different user account. I removed the mail account for that user, deleted the mail folder, and re added the account. Resolved!

I'm not sure why I could not see the size of the folder in finder when I was logged in as a different user even when they were both admin accounts.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for posting that fix. I would never have thought of that.I got that wring recently for only the second time sine the release of 10.0. in my case the culprit was as simple as a couple of uncompressed video clips stored in the wrong folder.

Reaction score
...t was a corrupt mail folder on a different user account. ...

I'm glad that you found the culprit! My next guess would have been a false backup being written to your main drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.