Lion Spotlight Isn't Finding Anything

Reaction score
Snow Leopard Spotlight worked perfectly for me. Now that I've upgraded to Lion it's been 100% useless. For example, it doesn't find Disk Utility. Or DVD Player. Or a primary directory on my hard drive.

It does, however, show very obscure [and useless] finds. For example, a search for Disk Utility yields a host of 3D files I created on a PC a couple years ago and are now on one of my hard drives as backups for my design portfolio.

I tried the same search on a MacBook Air at an Apple Store and got similarly pointless results.

Any thoughts on what's causing this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I just tried it on mine and it showed it in applications (Disk Utilities) and opened it up
and DVD Player and yes I am on 10.7.1.
System Preferences > Spotlight > check all that need apply in search results.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Every application I have typed in is being found almost instantly. 10.7.1 here and I use Spotlight all the time. Not sure what to tell you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
This may be irrelevant but I for the life of me could not access my files via the "go" on the menu. I mean nothing. Yes I do have Lion. The only way that I could see them was when I swiped from on screen to another. They were somewhere in between screens. As soon as I let up my hand from the track pad they would vanish. So any way getting to the point is that after I posted here, getting no response I called Apple support. They told me to shutdown my machine, then upon start up hold the shift key at the same time until it reaches a "safe boot" mode. Then it will require your password. This may take a few minutes but just let it do it's thing. Then lo and behold I was able to get to my files. Then just do a restart and was good to go. You might give this a try. I am not saying this is the answer, but wanted to put my two cents in. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.