SMART Status

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Hello,
I received this message stating S.M.A.R.T. Status: Failing.
I've backed up as much as possible and have bought a replacement 2TB disk Western Digital ready to swap over. My question is....
It's been in the state for 3 weeks or more and it all seems just fine?? Could this be an incorrect reading? I'm glad, however of the pre-warning!

iMac Intel 24"
320gb HDD

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
if you use it everyday for around 4 to 5 yrs its not uncommon for hard drives to die some last longer some die a lot sooner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
SMART does not tell fibs so be ready to change the hard drive as it is on the way out. You might like to pop the new drive in an external case and clone with CCC or SuperDuper, and then transfer it to the iMac.

Not the easiest job in the world either alas.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Hmmm, didn't think it would be fibbing.... lol
OK, I'll try cloning and see how long it will last. It's coming up to 4 weeks now....maybe a record????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If it is taking that long I would be afraid whatever it copied may be corrupted.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Hello again, The status remains as failing but seems to be working all ok. It's been like this since September. I'm ready now with a WD 20EARS 2TB disk drive. I've been backing it up nearly every day since I first got this reading using TIME MACHINE. Before I take the screen off etc and replace the HD should I be doing anything else. I couldn't bear to lose anything from the HD. Will TM be enough? Thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello again, The status remains as failing but seems to be working all ok. It's been like this since September. I'm ready now with a WD 20EARS 2TB disk drive. I've been backing it up nearly every day since I first got this reading using TIME MACHINE. Before I take the screen off etc and replace the HD should I be doing anything else. I couldn't bear to lose anything from the HD. Will TM be enough? Thanks in advance.

The easiest thing to do would be to connect the replacement drive to an external adapter (you can get just a USB adapter for the bare drive, or you can buy an external enclosure), then use a program like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact clone of the disk onto the new one. Then, simply install the drive and you're good to go.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Oh OK, you mean something like this...http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001A5SK56/
Is it as simple as plugging it in and letting SuperDuper copy it over and then fitting the HDD into my mac? No techie stuff to do i.e. jumper settings etc. Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Nice one, thanks. Fingers crossed then hey!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Thanks for all your help guys. I've successfully opened up my imac, replaced the 320gb hd for a 2.0TB WD HD, hoovered it out and put it back together again. I formatted the drive, reinstalled mac os and restored from Time Machine. It's all up and running perfectly with all my photos, music, documents and even my bookmarks, emails etc fully restored! I am over the moon. :)

C

chas_m

Pat yourself on the back as one of the few who (albeit slowly) acted before the inevitable happened.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.