Migration to New MBP From Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, OSX 10.7.3,MacBook, OSX 10.6.8
Hi all,

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new MacBook Pro with Lion. I have backed up my 2007 MacBook running Snow Leopard to Time Machine. The main things that I would like to restore iPhoto, iTunes and documents mail from TM to the new MBP. I figure I can install other applications (Office, iWorks) later. Does this make sense or will a complete restore from my Time Machine to my new MBP work?

Thanks!

Terry

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I plan on using Migration Assistant to get my iTunes, iPhoto, documents and mail from Time Machine to the new MBP. I am so gun shy from trying to restore Windows machines from backups I wonder if it is wise to do a complete migration, including 3rd party applications (MS Office) or is a partial migration a better road to go?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use your Time Machine backup to do the migration. The Migration Assistant can lead to problems especially when doing a selective migration. Time Machine is the best bet when setting up a new machine. It will not overwrite system files or kernel extensions so there is no worry there.

When we received our new iMac I used TM to migrate everything from an older MacBook running Snow Leopard. It was fast, smooth, no problems whatsoever.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for this info. This sounds preferable to sliding disks all morning long! Will things like my iTunes account info, Mobile Me and user account info transfer or do I need to set those up again?
I am excited now!

Terry

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They'll all migrate over. As for iTunes; just authorize the new machine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOOHOO!

The new MBP with Lion arrived and I used Time Machine to migrate everything over. With a couple tiny issues such as firewire port and an iTunes version discrepancy, the new MBP has all my stuff! Way to go Apple!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

Terry

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Enjoy your new MBP and visit often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.