Benifits

Reaction score
What would be the advatages or benifits If I upgrade from Tiger 10.4.11 to Leopard 10.5 on my Power PC G4 20" Flat panel with 1GB of memory?

The only benefit I seem to have received in Tiger was Dashboard.

Just curious before I spend the money on it. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One benefit (that you may or may not need at the moment) is compatibility with software that is not compatible with OS 10.4.11.

Another benefit are updated versions of Safari, security updates...and updates of other sorts.

I'm thinking that if you're asking this question...you don't have a current need for OS 10.5...or the $100 or so it's going to cost you.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
One of the new things Leopard brings is Spaces. I really like that ability to have separate "compartments" to reduce clutter when I've got several things open.

OP
G
Reaction score
Actually pigoo3 you are probably right. I am experiencing some problems now. Such as cannot upgrade Firefox, Adobe Flash Player or other plu-ins and apps.

And I just recently upgraded to Tiger so hope I needed Tiger to upgrade to Leopard.

Checked on e-bay and the least expensive Leopard I found new (which I only trust) and are between $140 - $170.00.

I know I have to have the black label but not sure which to purchase. Some indicate full retail, some indicate full install, some indicate full install and upgrade and others indicate family pack and so on.

Which would you suggest? I only have one computer runnning Tiger 10.4.11 on a Power PC 20" Flat Panel with 768mb of memory. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Actually pigoo3 you are probably right. I am experiencing some problems now. Such as cannot upgrade Firefox, Adobe Flash Player or other plu-ins and apps.

And I just recently upgraded to Tiger so hope I needed Tiger to upgrade to Leopard.

Checked on e-bay and the least expensive Leopard I found new (which I only trust) and are between $140 - $170.00.

I know I have to have the black label but not sure which to purchase. Some indicate full retail, some indicate full install, some indicate full install and upgrade and others indicate family pack and so on.

Which would you suggest? I only have one computer runnning Tiger 10.4.11 on a Power PC 20" Flat Panel with 768mb of memory. Thanks

As far as the price for 10.5 "Leopard"...you should be able to do better than the $140-$170 you found. I've seen plenty for around $100 (or less since the auctions are still ongoing). Just search using "10.5" in the e-Bay computers section.

Full install, full retail, upgrade, family pack will all work for you since you already have 10.4.11 on your computer. Family packs are usually more expensive since you can legally install it on 5 computers.

Here are the requirements for 10.5...usually the most important being that you have at least an 867mhz cpu:

Requirements for Mac OS X v10.5

And like you mentioned...you need "black disks" (not the silver/gray).:)

Good Luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.