Can Not reinstall Windows

Reaction score
I had Windows XP on my Macbookpro. I deleted it via Boot camp Assistant. Now I want to install Windows 7, but it does not allow me. I get message " The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Does anyone know how to deal with this without reformatting whole Mac Disk? Thnx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, but that message is stating that the drive is fragmented and not enough free contiguous space remains to create a partition. The solution is to backup everything using Time Machine, reinstall OS X, restore from Time Machine and try again. It should work after that.

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry, but that message is stating that the drive is fragmented and not enough free contiguous space remains to create a partition. The solution is to backup everything using Time Machine, reinstall OS X, restore from Time Machine and try again. It should work after that.

Many thanks for reply. I use Time machine but never restored anything from it. How safe this action is? Will I need to install all apps again or it will restore automatically. I installed my OS x lion from App store, should I install it from there again?

Thanks

Reaction score
It's quite safe. But if you want to try another option, for $30 you can buy iDefrag, which will defragment your disk. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any free defragmenting utilities.

Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag

Even if you use iDefrag, definitely back up your HD first. Also, you could consider installing Windows in a virtual machine this time around - that would also avoid the issue.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You will need to restore everything. So make sure that your Time Machine backup is complete and that you have backed up everything on your hard drive.

OP
I
Reaction score
It's quite safe. But if you want to try another option, for $30 you can buy iDefrag, which will defragment your disk. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any free defragmenting utilities.

Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag

Even if you use iDefrag, definitely back up your HD first. Also, you could consider installing Windows in a virtual machine this time around - that would also avoid the issue.

Cheers

So, if I free up some more space, then defragment the disk by iDefrag, then it should install windows without formatting mac HD?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
It might. No guarantees but many have reported success with iDefrag in this setting.

Cheers

Reaction score
No it is not. That's a Microsoft limitation that's been in Windows for awhile, as I understand it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.