Changing default user/account name on Mac OS X 10.6?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am using a MacBook Pro at my place of work that was bought for an earlier intern who set up the computer. She made all the account information as her name.

Now, I have changed the name of the computer (System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name) and I have edited the names and information within the Accounts section (System Preferences > Accounts > My Account). However, the previous interns name continues to auto-populate in the "Name" field every time I try to unlock a setting or authenticate anything on the computer.

My question is: how do I change this name to match my new username information that I changed under the Accounts settings? And if I have changed all this information, why is this old name still popping up?

I've been at this for hours... please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here is the official method for changing the name: Apple KB Article

But let me give you a note of warning before you attempt it. If the above is not done correctly you will lose access to your data and possibly not be able to recover. The smart thing to do is first back up everything by using Time Machine or cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And... do not cross post. Your cross post has been removed. Only post to one forum and continue posting back to the same thread. Thanks.

OP
P
Reaction score
And... do not cross post. Your cross post has been removed. Only post to one forum and continue posting back to the same thread. Thanks.

I know. I realized I posted in the wrong place, so I posted it in the right place and tried to delete the first post to no success. All it would let me do was edit it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.