Can this be done?

Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm a new macbook pro user switched from a 10 years of Windows usage.

Here's what I'm trying to do with my home network. A home made NAS system.

jqj1xk.jpg

But I'm having hard time to decide how to use Time Machine to backup to a network drive. I know there's a workaround to enable TM do that and I know that it's not supported by Apple.

My problem is: if I attach the HFS+ formatted TM drive to my router, router does not recognize it therefore mac cannot see it as a network drive.

If I format it to Fat32 which router can recognize, then TM does not backup to it.

What if I attach that HFS+ formatted drive to windows server 2008 laptop (my homemade NAS) and install MacDrive to that laptop, then would TM see be able to back up to it? Or do you have any other workaround?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Sorry I dont quite follow. If you have a NAS drive that is conected to your network (plugged in to your wireless router) td.
hen yes it will.

If you are trying to use a hard drive in a windows PC on your network I have no idea I am afraid
have a Buffallo NAS drive and seems to work with that (similar work around on the buffallo web forum IIRC)

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes I'm trying to use windows server 2008 installed laptop pc as a NAS. And I will attach my external drive to that laptop. I'm asking if macbook pro and time machine will see that drive?

Reaction score
Dont see why not if the drive is on your network. I think you have to load the sparse image onto it first (at least thats what I did)

OP
R
Reaction score
Dont see why not if the drive is on your network. I think you have to load the sparse image onto it first (at least thats what I did)

Then would windows laptop be able to mount it to network? Because that drive still be connected to network via windows laptop.

OP
R
Reaction score
What model router ?
TM has to stay formatted to HFS+ in order for TM to work.
A networking drive may be an easier solution for all to see and use.
Have you read this. How to Turn Your Computer Into the Ultimate Remote Access Media Server

This article discussess about how to turn your computer to remote access media server. This is exactly what I'm trying to do if you check out the image I uploaded in the first post.

And I know TM drive has to be formatted HFS+ for TM to work. But what if that HFS+ formatted drive in your network connects to the LAN by being attached to a windows pc. I mean can you use TM to backup to a fellow windows pc's drive if that drive was formatted in HFS+ format and that pc was in your network?

My modem/router is Linksys Wag320n. Even though it has a pretty unefficient USB port on it, it only sees NTFS or FAT32 formatted drives.

PS: English is not my mother language. That's why I can't make myself clear enough. Sorry about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You could purchase a WD LiveBook and attach it to your current router and use that for TM or get an Airport Extreme and replace your existing router and attach your existing hard drive to it for TM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.