• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Express vs. Adobe Premiere

Reaction score
Hello there! I'm semi-new to the Mac world, and these forums have been a wonderful resource in finding the right software & advice. I'm already so grateful to you guys!

I've done searches and found lots of threads comparing FC Pro with Adobe Premiere, but how does Premiere stack up against the Express version? I've used Adobe Premiere (an older version, I think 4 or 5) for several years on my PC to make music vids, and I'd like to continue doing so on my PowerBook G4. iMovie isn't cutting it - I don't have nearly the freedom that I do with Premiere.

I think Final Cut Pro would probably be too much for my G4, from what I've read, so that's out...but I was wondering if anyone here has used both Premiere and FC Express and can compare experiences. (I've visited the specs on the websites, but I kinda need tales of personal experience - how do the transitions & filters compare, etc.) Any thoughts?

Thanks so much! I'll continue to search & browse as well, I just haven't seen a comparison between these two programs.

Cheers!
(my system = PowerBook G4, 17", 1.5 GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, 74 GB hard drive space)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I've used all three aforementioned editing systems and I can tell you, in my opinion, Final Cut (in any form) is better than Adobe Premiere.

The only differences between FCP and FCE are a few importing options, the formats they can work with(HD,dvcam,dv,minidv/FCE only does miniDV), and a few other transitions and stuff like that.

As for FCE's features compared to Adobe's, it's all up to personal preference, if you like the cheesy star wipes, stick with Adobe, but if you're into tasteful and professional editing, go with FCE. (a little exaggerated, but true :) )

Your computer is fine enough equipped to deal with either of the two, I would recommend a GB stick of RAM though. I've been running Final Cut Express on a 1Ghz eMac w/ 512 RAM for a while now with no complaints.

So, the interface is a lot different and there's a learning curve, but in the end Final Cut products are so much more powerful and user-friendly than Adobe's Premiere. :mac:

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for the information, surfwax! :) I did get the Final Cut Express, and I'm adjusting to it. I miss some of the Adobe features, though - little things like being able to select a clip in the timeline, and nudge it using the arrow keys - in Final Cut Ex I can't believe you actually have to go to all the trouble of entering numbers in if the mouse-drag isn't precise enough. So far, I prefer Premiere, but I am still adjusting.

Thanks for the feedback!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
I personally a 1.5Ghz G4 can handle FC Pro, but don't undermine the kick***ness of FC Express.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
Premier is like a box of 12 crayons, FCP is like an oil paint pallette...

Ive used FCP and Premiere..i like FCP way more

OP
D
Reaction score
MadSkillzMan - cool! If you've used both, maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong in FCE. :)

So, I'm vidding with widescreen footage and what I have done in the past on Premiere is to crop the video to get rid of the bars, and then export the project with an 800x480 frame to preserve the aspect ratio. Works perfectly with Premiere, and I'm *trying* to do the same with FCE, but it seems like the crop tool works differently.

In FCE, I apply the desired croppage via the Motion tab, and it *is* applied, but it won't output the footage as cropped, even when I render the video. Is this cropping only used for the view window? Does it not affect the project footage? What tool do I use to take my footage and crop the ratio? Or am I working with the right option (cropping with the motion tab) and missing a crucial step?

I wish I could afford to take a class in FCE, but unfortunately I have to just muddle through being self-taught and picking up advice on the web, so thanks in advance for any tips that you may have! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
your cropping corrextly, i think the step your missing is in the render. When you render, is your image cropped at all? or are you looking at exactly what you started with?

What i think your missing is setting it in the render settings.

But also, you have to DOUBLE CLICK the footage, and go to motion. SOmetimes what i do is, click and hold the preview tab, and drag it, so that i can see the video, as i play with the motion tab.

lemme know if that helps. i know FCP can be alittle finiky at times.

OP
D
Reaction score
MadSkillzMan said:
your cropping corrextly, i think the step your missing is in the render. When you render, is your image cropped at all? or are you looking at exactly what you started with?

What i think your missing is setting it in the render settings.

But also, you have to DOUBLE CLICK the footage, and go to motion. SOmetimes what i do is, click and hold the preview tab, and drag it, so that i can see the video, as i play with the motion tab.

lemme know if that helps. i know FCP can be alittle finiky at times.

When I render, the image isn't cropped, I'm looking at exactly what I started with. I will look at the render settings and see what's going on with it there, because the cropping shows up in the viewer but not the canvas.

The good news is that I've discovered the Distort tool in the motion tab is a great workaround; distort the footage to get rid of the bars, then output at 800x362 (or so) to restore the aspect ratio. It has virtually the same effect.

You know, it's funny, I actually do really like FCE - I kinda wish I were learning it without having known something like Premiere beforehand, because I'm constantly comparing. :) I'll probably drive myself batty when I dive into Avid one of these days...

Thank you for your help! I will check the render settings and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
maybe its just not being applied then? thats weird. if it renders with the distort tool, i honestly dont get why it wouldnt with the resize.

eh, why Avid when you have FCP?

ive used both. FCP gets my vote. atleast on windows, with avid you had to keep switching between editing and capturing modes.

premiere didnt even hit the board compared to FCP. i like fcp, cause its another onea those things windows users are jealous they dont have. Avid has all these backround processes for liscensing plus requires a dongle.

there is avid FreeDV, which runs on windows. might be on mac now, cant remember. but if you want a taste of avid, without the cost, theres your chance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I wish I could afford to take a class in FCE, but unfortunately I have to just muddle through being self-taught and picking up advice on the web, so thanks in advance for any tips that you may have! :)

You might take a look at the tutorials at lynda.com -- they're not free, but $20/month isn't bad. These are aimed at FCP 5, but I've got to imagine that the concepts would directly apply to FCE HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Thank you for the information, surfwax! :) I did get the Final Cut Express, and I'm adjusting to it. I miss some of the Adobe features, though - little things like being able to select a clip in the timeline, and nudge it using the arrow keys - in Final Cut Ex I can't believe you actually have to go to all the trouble of entering numbers in if the mouse-drag isn't precise enough. So far, I prefer Premiere, but I am still adjusting.

Thanks for the feedback!

I prefer hitting the plus or minus on the keyboard and typing in how many frames you want it to move and hitting enter, rather then nudging with the arrow keys... you may want to try that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
pssstt...
its been well over a year since drgnfille posted this and almost 10 months since he has even visited the forums. I don't think he is likely to get this response. :black:

You might want to check the "freshness date" on a thread before you post in it.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Oops... I did check the date, but I read it as 2007 not 2006 :)

drgnfille may still get the email notification, although a year later he's probably a Final Cut expert!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
pssstt...
its been well over a year since drgnfille posted this and almost 10 months since he has even visited the forums. I don't think he is likely to get this response. :black:

You might want to check the "freshness date" on a thread before you post in it.
:)

wow... i just looked at the post before mine and saw they it said "today" so i didn't even bother looking at the other date, even though i read the post.. wow..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Final Cut Express vs. Photodex ProShow Producer

I've used all three aforementioned editing systems and I can tell you, in my opinion, Final Cut (in any form) is better than Adobe Premiere.

The only differences between FCP and FCE are a few importing options, the formats they can work with(HD,dvcam,dv,minidv/FCE only does miniDV), and a few other transitions and stuff like that.

As for FCE's features compared to Adobe's, it's all up to personal preference, if you like the cheesy star wipes, stick with Adobe, but if you're into tasteful and professional editing, go with FCE. (a little exaggerated, but true :) )

Your computer is fine enough equipped to deal with either of the two, I would recommend a GB stick of RAM though. I've been running Final Cut Express on a 1Ghz eMac w/ 512 RAM for a while now with no complaints.

So, the interface is a lot different and there's a learning curve, but in the end Final Cut products are so much more powerful and user-friendly than Adobe's Premiere. :mac:

WOW good to hear the difference between Final Cut Express vs. Premiere! I was leaning towards Premiere for Mac! I use to use ProShow Producer on my Dell PC and I could do sooooo much...mix pics with video from my Canon compact 870 camera. All was right with the world. Now I have a Mac...lovin it except we're the "red-headed stepchildren" when it comes to software that PCs run!! Is Final Cut Express the closest I can get to having what ProShow Producer gave me? Total control over EVERYTHING? I know there will be a learning curve, but it would be worth it if Final Cut Express works! I'm trying Fotomagico....one caption....geez... Any help for this "medium" user...i'm no advanced user of that kind of sophisticated software! Final Cut Pro would be waaaaaay over my head!

Ya'll.....HELP!!! (and thanks in advance!!)
Shadylady (my handle from my old "CB" days!!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 Macbook Pro, 2.5, 200GB 7200rpm HDD, 4GB RAM- 24" iMac 2.9, 1TB HDD, 4GB, 2 iPhones, 3 iPods
Just go with final cut express. I don't think you are going to find many people here that are going to recommend anything other than FCE or FCP. Both of those softwares are designed to work well with OS X and integrate with the other mac apps. Not to mention the support you find through apple and forums like this one when trying to use FC.

I've never heard of ProShow but I would venture to say that FCE will surpass the functionality that any low key pc software gave you. It's hard to guess what you might mean by "total control over everything", but if you truly want control over "everything" then FCP would be your solution, but you've already stated that you aren't interested in that because its over your head. And as far as being "the redheaded step child", most mac users are happy to leave PC software behind us.

I think it's funny that so many people get on a mac forum and ask, "do you think I should get the non-apple software?" What do they think we are going to say. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.