Dealing with .d

Reaction score
Hi, I just transferred a load of files from my old G4 Powerpc os x 10.39 to a flash drive as backup before converting the mac to an Ubuntu for powerpc 10.4 machine. One of the issues I've run into is that the text files won't open in linux now. That includes doc and pdf files. I tried to open them in my windows xp partition on another machine and they won't open there either. I noticed in xp that each folder has a .ds_store file or second file associated with the text file. I understand that file is generated by the mac finder to keep track of relevant data about icons, location etc. I did not think the file itself should be corrupted though. But I cannot open them. I can open music files and photos, which do not have a problem being imported into my linux distro. I think when I dragged file folders to the flash drive, I inherited the .ds_store and associated files with it. Anyone have any ideas on how to salvage my doc and pdf files? Could I put my flash drive in a modern mac and eliminate the .ds_store files--then transfer them back to the flash drive?

Thanks, sdgalbo

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like the files were corrupt. Try again if you have the originals. The hidden ds store files shouldn't matter either way.

OP
S
Reaction score
What about the "other" non-text files?

There are more than just .ds_store files in the folders I copied though. In fact, every text file (doc or pdf) has an associated file with it --usually only about 2-4 k in size. They have a very similar name, but with different syntax, similar to .ds_store. What are those? I haven't seen anything on the web that tells me what they are supposed to be or what to do with them. For instance, there is a program made by Blue Harvest that can supposedly fix the problem. If somebody created a program to address this issue, then it seems like maybe the files aren't corrupted, but just currently unreadable in their present form. Any ideas?

sdgalbo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.