Help me use Lion Server effectively

Reaction score
Mods: I'm not sure where this belongs so please feel free to move. This was the best place I could come up with.

OK, here's the deal: I picked up a new top of the line MacBook Air last week because I got tired of traveling every week with the late 2009 15" MBP I have. The thing is, there's nothing wrong with the MBP at all. It was the most upgraded model I could buy when I picked it up in 2009. Therefore I do not want to get rid of it. I can use it in a variety of ways including for just general family use if needed. That said, I would prefer to use it in the best way possible. My thought is that I can put Lion Server on it and turn it into something useful for me.

What would you set up on that machine? Anything special that I could set up that would be an advantage given that I travel every week (I'll assume a VPN is a must)? You can assume that my experience level is high and that I'm capable of figuring out how to setup whatever is required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You don't run a server OS in production on a laptop.

The End.

OP
K
Reaction score
You don't run a server OS in production on a laptop.

The End.
Hey, thanks for the reply. That's fine I guess but my question is "Why?" The MBP I have is far more powerful than the MacMini that many people are running Lion server on, it is for personal use only and I have no issue with having it on 24X7. This isn't a "production" effort. If it was I would definitely agree. More of a hobby. I'm just going to tinker with it anyway but hoped that some here might have done some "fun" stuff on a personal level. I could always buy a MacMini or something else and do the same thing too if that is better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could use an Air as a server and the cost of Lion server makes it pretty inexpensive.

But if you dont want all of server's capabilities, like mail server, calendar server, wiki host, iTunes server, software update repository and global address books you could just attach some USB storage to the thing and use regular desktop Lion to act as a standard file server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Well,...I know that was harsh but the IT in me made that call.

For the hobbyist, running OS X server on a laptop won't break any cosmic rules. Spec is not the reason for my comment, practicality was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.