Possible battery problems

Reaction score
I have a late 2009 macbook.

about a month ago i had to change the bottom rubber part of my laptop due to excessive heat which caused a bubble in the bottom. Everything has been fine since and to make sure it doesnt happen i always use a fan under my laptop.

Today i started seeing problems with my laptop. The first problem was that the laptop went form about 85% battery to about 3%. Then just about 15m ago the laptop just shutdown and when i plugged in the charger it stayed on 0% while charging.

i turned off the laptop for about 5m and now the battery is up to 26%.

Is there a battery problem with this year and model?
how much will it cost to fix this?
and no i do not have apple care, FML.

thanks for your time

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The battery may be failing but let's wait and see if it will attain a full charge and how long it holds it. The MagSafe charger could also be having problems but it sounds more like the battery itself.

As far as I know, I haven't heard of any battery problems with your model, however, keep in mind that batteries are consumable items and will fail over time. If you need to purchase a new battery Other World Computing sells replacement batteries which are better than the Apple original.

OP
R
Reaction score
thnak you so much for the input.
i managed to get a full charge and shut down the laptop for the night.
will test it out tonight to see how the charge holds.

also, would the site that you suggested carry the tool that would remove the 3 headed screws that you need to take out to remove the original?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
also, would the site that you suggested carry the tool that would remove the 3 headed screws that you need to take out to remove the original?

I'm not sure of what tool kits they have in stock but you can browse around when you go there. However, for complete sets of specialized tools, the best place to shop is iFixit: The free repair manual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.