Unable to delete file 2011-09-05-221703.inProgress

Reaction score
I have been tryng to clear my external HDD of a failed back up with Time MAchine. Maistakenly, I moved the file to the dessktop and then the trash where I cannot remove it from. I have tried to restore, but that fails to shift it and trying to empty the trash can says I need to change permissions. I am confused hwt I need to do. The file is: 2011-09-05-221703.inProgress.
Please help. :'(

Reaction score
I'm having somewhat the same problem. I migrated to a new computer using Time machine and it brought over an installer that I havent used forever. It has the folder named as a Time Machine backup folder.

I get the error "Can not empty trash because the file Vistascan Installer is in use". that's a Classic app. I tried option empty, control com empty. I just cant get rid of it. !!!!

It's a Classic app so it is not in use like the error message says. And for some odd reason it has the Installer's date modified on Oct 2033

Thanks for any help too!

Reaction score
I thought that I had tried this before but apparently I didnt. I did the secure empty trash and it FINALLY got rid of the Installer that was stuck in my trash forever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.