Printing problem on mac with HP 5550n

Reaction score
Hi all, quick question.

I have lion OS if it makes a difference, and I'm using an HP 5550n printer to print eBay packing slips. The problem I have is that if I'm printing a fair amount in one go, say 150, the information on the slips is getting lower & lower on the pages? Like sliding down the page... e.g. 1st is fine & by the time I get to page 150 the logo & address is 1/3 way down the packing slip.

It was fine on windows pc so I don't think its the printer, its just happened since I went Mac.

Any help would be great :) I've tried playing around with margins etc in the printer settings but I think I'm missing something really simple !

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to proper forum.

The only suggestion I can give you for now is to check with HP to see if there is an updated driver available for Lion. What you're seeing is not an operating system problem, it's a driver issue. And the only way to resolve that is with either an update driver or another driver that works.

You could also try removing the printer and reinstalling it. However, be sure to check the HP site for updated drivers first.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try. It was same on the previous OS whatever it was 10.6 or something. The driver was found as soon as the printer was turned on and its the same on Lion, I have posted the same question in the HP forum so fingers crossed. I just don't get it, windows coped with it easily with "page layout"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
They only appear to have drivers for OS X up to 10.6 (here). If you're using the Apple supplied drivers, you could contact HP to see if they have 10.7 drivers in the works or as a worst case, you could try the 10.6 drivers.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I didn't see the printer in that list but that doesn't mean it won't work. If OS X recognized it and set it up, it can work with your printer (why else set it up?). Have you checked Software Update for updated drivers? I know I've gotten updated print drivers (they weren't for an HP printer but it's worth a look).

OP
I
Reaction score
Just doing software update, 1st thing its found is printer software .... ooh.. exciting lol

Fingers crossed eh?

OP
I
Reaction score
Software update worked, sorry for such a dumb question. I've just come from windows... I kinda guessed that X Lion would automatically install the best drivers.

Its all good now - Thanks for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.