Macbook pro password protection

Reaction score
Hey,

I have some very sensitive data on my Macbook Pro, I need some sort of an option like i have on the Iphone and Ipad where after 10 wrong entries all data is deleted.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which operating system are you using? Lion has a new way to implement "FileVault" which will keep your entire hard drive secure. We need to know which version of OS X you're using.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back. Since you're using Snow Leopard, the FileVault version that it uses will only encrypt your home folder rather than the entire HD. What I suggest instead is to use a third party encryption program. The PGP applications have been purchased by Symantec and are a bit pricey.

Take a look at an open source version which is free from here.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, but i need a more global solution, if some one trying to break past my password at startup (or when the mac is sleeping). is there no basic program that will delete everything after x amount of failed password attempts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are several programs you can buy that enable security for your machine in the event it's stolen and someone tries to access the data. They also aid in recovering the machine. However, I'm not sure if any of them provide an automatic wiping of all the data on the hard drive.

My suggestion is to encrypt the entire hard drive and add a firmware password to the machine. That way no one can access the data on the hard drive nor can they even try to reinstall. A good encryption program will protect the data unless the NSA or FBI gets hold of your machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.