Lion Mail keeps going off-line during sleep mode

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Lion from Snow Leopard, my iMac Mail keeps going off-line during sleep (energy saving) mode. It goes back on-line as soon as I press the "get new messages" icon but it should not be necessary to have to do this. I have checked the accounts and everything seems to be the same as it was before upgrading to Lion and, all the time that the computer is active (ie. not in sleep mode), Mail stays on-line and, as far as I can tell, the internet connection does not go off during sleep mode. Any suggestions as to what might cause this problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure I understand your question? What do you mean by Mail going off line? The Mail application is always off line until you ask it to check for new messages. You can set mail to do that every so often from preferences.

Are you keeping the Mail application open at all times to constantly check for messages? And if the machine sleeps, the mail application closes? Is that what you're referring to? Please clarify.

OP
B
Reaction score
I apologise if I have used the wrong terminology. In Snow Leopard, when I resumed a session from sleep, Mail rarely showed any alert icons against each account. Now, it almost always shows alert icons against each account and clicking on an icon results in a message indicating that the internet connection may have been lost or that incorrect account details are present. If I click on the "get mail" icon immediately after resuming a session from sleep, Mail seems to try to get messages from each account but ends with the alert icons. Clicking the "get mail" icon again, does get any new messages and clears the alert icons. I keep the Mail application open permanently and set it to check for new mail every 5 minutes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Thanks for clarifying. Try this:

Open the System Preferences application and go to the the "General" panel. Go the section where it says "Number of Recent Items" and place a check in the box that says "Restore Windows............"

See if that works. If it doesn't, you may have to shut mail down before sleeping the machine.

Reaction score
Well, I do not know if this is the same problem I am facing, but here is what happens to me.

My iMac is constantly on, and the Mail app is always running. In the past, under Snow Leopard, when I came to my computer in the morning, there were several unread messages in my inbox waiting for me. Now, with Lion, there are no unread messages, until I hit the "Get new messages" button. If the computer hasn't gone to sleep (power saving mode) then it fetches my emails fine, every 10 minutes, as I have instructed it to do, in the Mail Preferences.

It's not a big deal, but I sure would like to have it the old way. If someone knows anything about this problem, I would appreciate your insight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.