Wish to move photos to external HD, how do I "tell" Aperture and iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB
So yeah, I have almost 100 GB of photos on my HD, and I also have them on an eternal. I'd like to delete them from the MBP and only access them from the HD, just as I do my music with iTunes. How do I go about this, given that both iPhoto and Aperture have imported and analyzed them on the native unit? Thanks folks!

:Cool:

Reaction score
if you already have a backup and just want to delete from the computer than you can trash them directly. Remember iPhoto has it's own trash that you will have to empty manually. Other than that, there is an export feature which will let you move the photos to a different library. Let us know if you want more info on the same.

OP
GratefulMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB
Thanks all! I have successfully moved both my iPhoto and Aperture libraries over, easy-squeezy-lemon-pleasy! Yet one more little lesson in how OSX "thinks" and manages files, I appreciate it. And so does my MBP drive! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.