third party macbook pro 85 w chargers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have recently taken the plunge and upgraded to a 17 inch MBP SB I7. Love it, it has replaced a g5 desktop and a air. I have a Henge dock on my desk with a cinima display and all my bits attached, including the charger that came with the machine.

When I travell and need to take my machine with me i would like to get a second charger so that I can leave the one conected to the dock in place.

My question is has any one had sucsess with a third party charger? is it bad for the machine? If i hafto i will get the apple one which is expensive, but there are cheeper ones on ebay for around 20 pound.

Any input would be welcome.

Regards

Geraint

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have recently taken the plunge and upgraded to a 17 inch MBP SB I7. Love it, it has replaced a g5 desktop and a air. I have a Henge dock on my desk with a cinima display and all my bits attached, including the charger that came with the machine.

When I travell and need to take my machine with me i would like to get a second charger so that I can leave the one conected to the dock in place.

My question is has any one had sucsess with a third party charger? is it bad for the machine? If i hafto i will get the apple one which is expensive, but there are cheeper ones on ebay for around 20 pound.

Any input would be welcome.

Regards

Geraint
it does not pay to get a cheaper one, go with the real one even a bit high priced.

OP
geraint84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your input... has anyone had bad experiances with cheeper third party ones??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do some searching. Third party knock off MagSafe chargers (usually purchased off eBay) can sometimes cause problems and can even be dangerous to use.

As advised, best to buy a genuine Apple MagSafe charger or a quality substitute from the folks at OWC.

OP
geraint84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
genuine charger it is then

thanks guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.