Russian letters on itunes

Reaction score
I just downloaded some russian music and i put it on my itunes and the letters are all weird nonsense letters. Does anyone know how i can make these the actual letters that the files had.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Forgive my ignorance but isn't Russian all weird nonsense letters anyways ??
GOt a screen shot ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to "see" the Cyrillic letters naturally, you're going to need to go to System Preferences, Language & Text, Input Sources, and place a check in the box for the Russian language choices.

OP
S
Reaction score
here is what it looks like, when i went to system preferences and did that but its not that i want to write Russian i want itunes to recognize the letters.

Screen shot 2011-09-06 at 11.43.28 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know why it won't show correctly for you. We receive lots of recordings in the Korean language and iTunes shows the characters in their correct format. But it wasn't until I set the options that I explained above.

Reaction score
In order to "see" the Cyrillic letters naturally, you're going to need to go to System Preferences, Language & Text, Input Sources, and place a check in the box for the Russian language choices.

still same problem...:(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only thing I can surmise is that it's a font problem. I have a slew of Korean fonts loaded and also ones supplied by Apple. I really don't know what, if any Cyrillic fonts you have or are included. But I do know if you don't have the right ones, it will display unreadable characters.

Reaction score
Russian Letters on iTunes

I'm experiencing this same problem; I tried adding Russian in System Settings to no avail. I'd like to add that copying manually the files' names as they appear in Finder to iTunes will let you paste the names by cyrillic letters to the songs.

So if what chscag says is true, that it's an issue of fonts, is there any way to fix this? Obviously, I really do not want to input these names manually.

(I know some fonts don't support cyrillic, however, it doesn't make sense that either the default font in iTunes or OS X files are one of them, since a name using the cyrillic alphabet is maintained in both. I'm guessing it's related to how the importation feature in iTunes is programmed.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.