iMac G3 Won't Boot

D

davek

I just myself a used iMAC G3 400Mhz. It has OS 9.2.2 on it and worked when I first got it but now doesn't boot. It plays the happy MAC sound when turned on and the power light goes green but nothing ever displays on the CRT. It doesn't sound like any hard drive activity is occurring. I think the battery might be dead but would this stop it from booting?
Dave

OP
A

APPLE_IMAC

Try zapping PRAM...

HOLD DOWN ALL THESE KEYS DURING RESTART

option key...Apple key...p r

I would do it 3-4 times....It maybe that your startup files cannot find the boot sequence....

Also...if you have OS 9 on cd...BOOT from the CD....Hold the the "C" key when starting up....

Could be the PRAM battery also.....

CHEERS

OP
D

davek

Thanks for the help. I replaced the PRAM battery and after doing that I got a folder with a question mark on it which quickly turned into a smiling MAC. It went away and then never did anything else. All I ever got was a blank blue screen . I then tried zapping the PRAM. Now when I restart I don't get the MAC tones or any folder icons. It just goes right to blank blue screen. Could my hard drive be bad? I don't have an OS 9 CD to boot from yet. Still working on finding one.
Dave

APPLE_IMAC said:
Try zapping PRAM...

HOLD DOWN ALL THESE KEYS DURING RESTART

option key...Apple key...p r

I would do it 3-4 times....It maybe that your startup files cannot find the boot sequence....

Also...if you have OS 9 on cd...BOOT from the CD....Hold the the "C" key when starting up....

Could be the PRAM battery also.....

CHEERS

OP
A

APPLE_IMAC

The system folder could be corrupt...the hard drive has nothing to boot from...

Yes..I would get a CD with an OS on it...Your system is capable of running OS X...

You can pickup Version 10.1 for about $10-15 dollars on E-bay...or get Panther, Tiger..(Need DVD for Tiger)..... but it will cost a lot more....When you get a CD with an OS...You can then check the HD with disk utilities...and do a clean install....Also...10-20gb drives are pretty cheap ...or go even larger...

OP
D

davek

After replacing the hard drive in my iMac and doing a full system restore my iMac lives again. Thanks for all your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.