Getting a mac

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new computer and I really like my friends mac. But Windows 7 basically does everything just as well as a mac does. They also seem to be way overpriced. One of my computery friends says that he can build a computer for me that is way better and much cheaper. I am leaning toward doing that because it sounds like I am getting more for less and I don't understand why someone would buy a mac, but their must be a reason because I see so many of they right? I'm not sure.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm looking for a new computer and I really like my friends mac. But Windows 7 basically does everything just as well as a mac does. They also seem to be way overpriced. One of my computery friends says that he can build a computer for me that is way better and much cheaper. I am leaning toward doing that because it sounds like I am getting more for less and I don't understand why someone would buy a mac, but their must be a reason because I see so many of they right? I'm not sure.

Sounds like your logic & feelings are leaning towards the Windows computer...so go for it...no one said you had to get a Mac!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Lol a troll! Stick with winders!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If you use both OS's you will find they are not the same and its been proven time after time the price thing on a fair part for part is very close.
You have always been able to build your own cheaper as far as towers go.
Broaden your horizons and try OSX and a Mac and don't stop there give
one of the many Linux Distros a try. Life's too short to look out one Window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't understand why someone would buy a mac, but their must be a reason because I see so many of they right?

Don't buy a Mac then. Pretty simple. Let your "friend" build you whatever you want and be happy with using Windows and always wondering what all the fuss is about. In fact, never, ever, pay more than $10,000 for a car. A nice used Chiraco, VW Mini-Bus or Yugo will do pretty much everything the same as that $90,000 BMW, Mercedes or Lexus too. Better yet, build a dirt bike from a kit, much cheaper than even a used car.

Reaction score
All sarcasm aside...
I am a PC. And a Mac. I have used PC for years, about 17 years to be exact. I bought a mac about a year ago and love it. I am not a gamer. I don't play games on a computer. If you are a gamer, stick to PC. I use my computer to surf the web, blog, build websites, edit photos, create movies and screencasts...that sort of thing. I use my Mac the majority of the time. Why do I like my Mac? Because it loads faster, doesn't freeze up (not nearly as much as windows anyway), I stay virus free, and the user experience is much better than that of Windows. Again, I use a PC as well so I am not here to dog PC. I do have one point to make though, I have went through 2 operating system updates with Mac (Leopard and Lion) and let me say that it is nice to be using a computer that runs on an operating system where they focus on updating the OS so that the user has a better experience instead of focusing on how much more secure they can make the OS and how they can prevent more virus and system attacks. That said - it Depends on what you use your computer for that will decide which you should buy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.