Internet Sharing won't Work >:(

Reaction score
For a while now I've been using Internet sharing through my AirPort to Ethernet to connect my other computer (running Ubuntu 11.04) to the Internet. Today when I tried to do it it said it was connected but there wasn't internet :'( Its not a problem with my Ubuntu. I can't figure out what its problem is, PLEASE HELP

M

MacInWin

Please provide a bit more clarity. You said, "Today when I tried to do it it said it was connected but there wasn't internet Its not a problem with my Ubuntu." Which system is the "it" in that sentence? What messages, if any, did you receive? Did either machine connect to the internet? How do you know it's not the Ubuntu machine? I used Internet sharing from my iMac to two laptops for over a year with no problems, so it works, if set up correctly. What diagnostics have you tried? Did you reboot either of the machines?

OP
T
Reaction score
I rebooted both machines, tried different ethernet cables, changed settings. I'm not too familiar with Mac. However I believe it's a problem with the Mac because 2 days ago I cleared out my preferences folder, under MacHD>System>Preferences. As for Diagnostics, I have no idea what you mean.

M

MacInWin

"2 days ago I cleared out my preferences folder, under MacHD>System>Preferences"

What does that mean? What, exactly, did you do to "clear out" the folder? I have looked at my machine running Lion and didn't find that folder. I also looked at an SL machine, wasn't there, either. I suspect that in the "clearing out" process you have stopped the internet sharing function, maybe other things as well.

M

MacInWin

And I had presumed that you had checked that you were still sharing on the Mac, but did you check it?

System Preferences>Sharing>Internet sharing is checked and configured

OP
T
Reaction score
Internet Sharing is on. Sorry I meant Library>Preferences I cleared out the preferences because another program was having trouble. The other program is working but now Internet Sharing won't work.

M

MacInWin

I'll defer to some of the wizards here, but if by "clearing out" you mean you deleted everything in that folder, I suspect you've deleted a configuration file for internet sharing, as I said earlier. My preferences folder has a ton of files that tell the system how I want it to operate. If you have a backup of the folder from before you deleted it, I would try restoring it to see if sharing returns, and if it does, find another way to solve the other program's problems.

Unlike Windows, it's not generally a good thing to mess with the system files in OSX unless you really, really know what you are doing (and take lots of backups).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.