• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting movies from PC to Mac

Reaction score
I got a bunch of video in .avi and .wmv format. How can i play video and edit in Quicktime ?

I downloaded VLC, since that is the only way i can get it to work. I thought with switching to Mac, i could cut down on my 3rd party apps.

Please Help !!! I got a ton of questions ... kind of miss my PC ... wish i had converted sooner

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...i could cut down on my 3rd party apps.

This may be true...but you can't start counting until after you've completely converted.;)

... kind of miss my PC ... wish i had converted sooner

This is sort of an odd statement. How can you say "miss my PC" and "wish I had converted sooner" in the same statement.

It's sort of like being an optimist & a pessimist in the same statement!;)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OP
N
Reaction score
Sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks ... been using a PC for over 10 years, Got my MBP about 10 days ago , completely lost now. Don't intend to quit though, have had the Iphone since the beginning.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks vansmith for the reply ..

Is there a way quicktime can do it, though ?

If i upgrade to pro will it provide editing and converting avi and wmv files ?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not that I know of. Why not just use Handbrake to do the conversions and then uninstall it when you're done?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks vansmith for the reply ..

Is there a way quicktime can do it, though ?

If i upgrade to pro will it provide editing and converting avi and wmv files ?

No. Quicktime is a player, not a converter. If you want to convert from other formats, you'll need something like Handbrake. You can also install Perian, which expands the types of formats Quicktime can play.

Another options is Microsoft's Flip4Mac, which plays WMV files in Quicktime.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks guys ... i will check out handbrake ... i already tried flip4mac , doesnt work for me, maybe i got something set up wrong.

I thought i read something about handbrake no longer being about to read avi files ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks guys ... i will check out handbrake ... i already tried flip4mac , doesnt work for me, maybe i got something set up wrong.

I thought i read something about handbrake no longer being about to read avi files ?

Make sure you install Perian as well, they don't call it "The Swiss Army Knife of Quicktime components" for nothing.

AVI isn't a codec, it's a container for other codecs. So, it's possible that Handbrake might not support some of the codecs that an AVI file can contain. But I can tell you that I've used it on dozens and it has yet to fail me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
What's wrong with using 3rd party apps? I never use QuickTime. To be honest, don't like it much in general.. but that's just me. I do use VLC however. And as suggested, Perian will enable QT to play those formats which won't play natively. This practice isn't any different from having to install codec packs in Windows so that WMP can play files not native to it.

Using a converter is going to be a real crutch if all you want to do is watch movies on your Mac. In the amount of time it takes to convert, you could have watched a movie already! There are some really great third party apps for OS X in general, you shouldn't be afraid to explore all of your options.

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a list of Handbrake's supported input and output formats. AVI is supported but as noted by cwa107, this doesn't mean that all AVI files will work since various codecs can be used with the AVI container.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's ... Handbrake does the trick, ...

Doug - I'm still learning :Smirk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
Flip4mac Pro will do the job.. but it costs about $30. I have used it in the past when I was doing a lot of video sharing with Windows only people and it worked well. I was importing .wmv right into imovie and exporting from quicktime back into .wmv. I'm assuming .avi would be just as simple...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.