need browser that saves pages as text

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to iMac (10.6.8). Safari refuses to save pages as text the way IE did (i.e. save the one page of text without the 20 pages of XML that surround it). It also saves complete pages only as an unusable "webarchive" instead of putting images in a directory so they can be seen by other apps the way IE did.

Which of the other browsers for iMac do either, or hopefully both, of these so I can use its output with other apps?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try Chrome. Download from Google.

OP
J
Reaction score
I know Chrome, Firefox & Opera exist; are you confirming that Chrome does both of the things I need to do? I've enough trouble getting my Mac working without installing things that don't work and have to be deleted leaving all their crud behind.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're just looking to save the page as something other than a webarchive then Chrome, Opera and Firefox all work (note though that Opera defaults to a web archive in the save dialog).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.