I, now, officially hate OS X Lion!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Seriously!!

I bought a brand new MBP 15" with all the bells and whistles around the end of June. The hardware had some issues, and was replaced by Apple.

I though life will be good after that... boy was I in for a nasty surprise.

Since the swap out happened after the release of Lion, I got a new MBP with the same specs, but with an added bonus (sarcasm) Lion comes pre-loaded.

I thought, great things should work no problem with this fancy shmancy OS!

It's been a month with Lion and I have seen my fare share of beach balls of suffering and agony!:'(

I am not even talking about 3rd party apps. Safari has been so clunky, I get a beach ball when I try to switch tabs. Right click on the desktop to change the background... go make a cup of coffee and come back and it would barely be opening up!!! Really???

The list goes on, The hardware itself is fine. But the OS is junk. I am so tempted to install Snow Leopard, and put the Lion back in its cage.

Probably the worst of all Apple's Cats so far in my own experience.

Heck, Tiger worked flawlessly on 4 year old MB and then I upgraded to Snow Leopard and it was still going strong.

Anyone else having the same issues. I've already seen a thread about folks who can't run "Software Update" I am getting the same error as well.

I am seriously hoping for a "magical" software update that will fix some of these issues... but we'll see.

/rant

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have the 2011 15" MBP. I bought Lion the same day that it came out. Haven't had any of those issues at all. In fact, aside from the dubious usefulness of some of the iOS-like features, I'd say Lion has been the most stable new release of OS X so far.

I wonder if you've got some older software installed on the machine that might be problematic. Have you checked your Console logs to see what precisely is going on?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have had zero problem with upgrading three different Macs of various vintages to Lion (2006 MacBook, 2007 MBP, 2009 MacMini).
Actually, I have had one problem, though it really didn't have anything to do with the OS that I can see. Brother released a printer driver update soon after Lion came out that rendered my Brother 2740W inoperable.
Thankfully, I was able (with some assistance from our helpful staff) to revert to the Snow Leopard drivers (which work just fine with Lion).

Have to say, though, that I haven't really seen any noticeable improvement either. Things are just different, not necessarily better.

Regardless, this doesn't help your situation. Hope you get it sorted out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
I have had no problems with my 15" MacBook Pro with Lion installed from the factory. I would take it in and have them check it for you.

Did you Migrate over some older software that might be impacting it?

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I bought a brand new MBP 15" with all the bells and whistles around the end of June. The hardware had some issues, and was replaced by Apple.

Perhaps you need to change your Mac Specs under your Avatar. It says something different.

The list goes on, The hardware itself is fine. But the OS is junk. I am so tempted to install Snow Leopard, and put the Lion back in its cage.

Frankly, my guess is the Hardware is likely an issue here too, perhaps some bad RAM. Have you taken it back to Apple again and shown them the problems?

Anyone else having the same issues. I've already seen a thread about folks who can't run "Software Update" I am getting the same error as well.

Don't wait for some "magical" update, take the machine to Apple. At the very least the software needs to be reinstalled, at worst you still have hardware problems. FYI, I've seen the software update not opening issue before, on other Macs. It has always required a reinstall of the OS to fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all for the replies... now I am actually more concerned!

@baggss:

yes sir, I will change my specs.

What you are saying about the Software Update requiring a new software load to fix, that's quite bizarre. I am not doubting your correctness but that would be annoying. More so, since I have seen a lot of people with the same issue for no apparent reason!

Also, I just tried the software update, and now it works fine!

I would give this list a once over it helped me with the beach balls I just got rid of the
incompatible apps. App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps

Part of the reason that I never upgraded my first MBP was because of a couple of Apps that I depend on that were incompatible with Lion. Now that doesn't apply anymore, the all are compatible.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone have an idea if I reinstall Lion, do I lose iLife? Or does reinstall as part of the OS?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Does anyone have an idea if I reinstall Lion, do I lose iLife? Or does reinstall as part of the OS?!

Your iLife applications will be available again from the App Store.

On your main topic of slow downs and beach balling I will add that I saw some serious issues on my 17" MBP with a fresh install of Lion. This thing was acting up big time and I was ready to chuck the whole experience as well. It took me resetting the PRAM twice, and ever since that everything has been perfect. Not saying that is your issue, but it never hurts to try something so simple.

Hope you get to the bottom of your issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Actually... this depends. They're ONLY available via the App Store IF you bought them from the App Store. If not, they're on the second disk that came with your machine. If you didn't buy them from the App Store, and tried to download them from that store.. it'd charge you for the apps.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually... this depends. They're ONLY available via the App Store IF you bought them from the App Store. If not, they're on the second disk that came with your machine. If you didn't buy them from the App Store, and tried to download them from that store.. it'd charge you for the apps.

hrm... that's what I thought. How do I get them out of the recovery partition after the clean install?

Actually, I'd probably would like to get them before the install since I am planning on wiping the hard drive clean and then install!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->

On the machines that ship with Lion there are no discs, so everything must come from the App Store. When I opened the App Store for the first time on Lion it validated my Apple ID, and now all iLife applications are available from there even though I never purchased from the App Store originally.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another update:

I burned the Lion OS DVD and wanted to make sure it will work, so I booted into it. I didn't do the install, yet but instead I did a Permissions Repair and Disk Verify and Repair.

The Disk Verified just fine with no issues.

Permissions on the other hand, well it reported that way too many permissions were set wrong. All in the /share/devicemgr... not sure how they got hosed up or why.

I will keep running the MBP through the paces for a little while longer before I go throughout with the reinstall.

Thanks for all your help folks!

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the machines that ship with Lion there are no discs, so everything must come from the App Store. When I opened the App Store for the first time on Lion it validated my Apple ID, and now all iLife applications are available from there even though I never purchased from the App Store originally.

I just did a quick check... you are absolutely right!!

I went to the "Purchased" section of the Mac App Store and the entire of iLife is chilling there.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.