Sleep & close

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air '11
Can someone please tell me the difference between closing the computer and just putting it on sleep.

Aside from this how long can you leave the device on sleep. If you have the pros and cons that would be awesome!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Essentially the same thing happens when you close the lid that happens when you manually choose to sleep the machine.

The machine can run on sleep mode for a very long time with a full battery. I've left mine sleeping for several days with no trouble. I rarely shut it down at all.

Cons? None really - worst case scenario, if the battery starts to get low, the machine will go into 'safe sleep' (AKA hibernate), which completely shuts the power down.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.