possible kernal panic? HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 320gb 7200rpm HDD Snow Leopard
I am in the Process of rebuilding a used Macbook for my mom and have replaced the Hard Drive, Ram, and Screen. I have been having problems with it booting and tonight this showed up. I have gotten it to run for at least 4 hours before it gave me a "Shutdown/Reboot" error message.
Can anyone tell me what is causing this? PLEASE tell me it's not the Logic Board!

IMG_20110905_010213.jpg

IMG_20110905_010331.jpg

IMG_20110905_010339.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's more than likely related to some hardware problem. You'll notice it says the BSD corresponds to the current thread - kernel task. (which could be one of many) Not very definitive.

You said you replaced the memory and the hard drive. Is the memory of the correct type and speed for that machine?

Also try this: Boot the machine in Safe Boot mode (hold down shift key) and let it cook for awhile to see if it panics in Safe mode or not. Safe boot mode eliminates things like drivers and software from running. That will help pinpoint if it's being caused by hardware.

OP
bassguy86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 320gb 7200rpm HDD Snow Leopard
Thanks, I will try that. The ram and HDD are from my macbook that I just upgraded and transferred it to the one I'm fixing up.
Note: It seems to only boot right if pressure is applied to the lower left corner, above where the ram is. I checked and everything seems seated right and screws tight, is there something I could put under the keyboard to keep pressure?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There may be a loose connection on the logic board itself if downward pressure works to boot the machine normally. It could be a loose ground or even a bad trace. The memory module sockets are always suspect because it usually takes a good deal of pressure to get the modules seated. Sometimes that causes things to stress and possibly generate the symptom you're seeing.

OP
bassguy86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There may be a loose connection on the logic board itself if downward pressure works to boot the machine normally. It could be a loose ground or even a bad trace. The memory module sockets are always suspect because it usually takes a good deal of pressure to get the modules seated. Sometimes that causes things to stress and possibly generate the symptom you're seeing.

I checked all screws I could find to tighten them. Could I possibly put something between the keyboard and the ram slots or board for leverage without messing up the computer? cardboard or something?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe. But there's really not a lot of room under the keyboard. However, if a piece of cardboard that applies pressure will work, why not? Give it a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.