crucial scan on my new imac makes me wonder???

Reaction score
Hey all, i just got my imac 27, ordered thru the phone and customized it up, got it and was going to upgrade the ram on my own, for kicks i ran the
crucial scanner

Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - Crucial Mac System Scanner

and it states my imac is a mid 2010, strangely in their manual choose your model part i noticed there was a mid 2011 option, so I assumed since I bought mine new here in august of 2011 that the mid 2011 model is the one i should pick, but their scanner says I have a mid 2010 model...

The part numbers given for a 2010 and 2011 are different as well altho the specs seem to match up for each, i emailed them about it and it's been a few days with no reply but guess I am just wondering if anyone else with a new imac has run the scan at crucial and if so what did it determine your machine to be (mid 2010 or mid 2011).

Bill

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is the model number of your iMac? However, unless you ordered a refurbished iMac, it should be a mid 2011 model. If so,

Your iMac uses 204-pin PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM modules.

OP
F
Reaction score
I am very new to macs but under the apple logo/about this mac/more info it does say

Imac
27 inch, mid 2011

guess I just wondered cuz the crucial scanner was saying mid 2010 and too cuz I ordered this over the phone new and it appeared to be new (new user welcome screen, had to create my first/new user acct etc) yet when i opened itunes someone else's email address was in there minus the password, and again in the mail part someone else's name was in there minus the password which was confusing to see.

Since I custom ordered this new I immediately called apple on it they apologized said they had no idea how this could have happened and offered a new unit to be sent but i had already installed windows on it and spent hours loading stuff into it and everything else appeared to be new, so I passed on their offer and accepted a bit off the total I was charged as a "we are sorry" offering.

But after seeing crucial was telling me mid 2010 it made me wonder even more, altho i did check the specs and it appears to have everything i ordered
3.4 ghz I7
256 ssd hd
2tb 7200 hd
amd video w/ 2mb

Someone else said check the serial number for the letters RM but mine didn't have that info within it, so who knows I guess, seems to work fine and look great, just wondered on that whole scanner finding it as a mid 2010 model, might even be a glitch within crucials scanner tool I guess...

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi

If you want to see the Serial Number of your Mac and, indeed, a great deal more:

Click on the Apple Logo top left of Toolbar - Click on "About my Mac" - Click on "More Info" - Under Hardware Review, you will see (on the right-sided panel) lots of info including the Serial Number.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.