please see i need help on this.

Reaction score
well i got a new hard drive. and I have nothing on it yet at all. I saw that on apple.com they had the snow leopard software for sale for 29.99 $ i believe that's the 10.6 I was wondering do I have to have a previous version of any software like snow leopard or leopard for it to work on my mac. I dont have any installation disks of previous versions. This is brand new hard drive to. I was hoping to get the software and just put in the cd and go from there and get it working again. let me know i really need help, thanks guys.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have your original install recovery disk? That's what you need to boot the machine and prepare the new hard drive after it's installed in the machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
i do not have the recovery disk at all. i was planning on buying snow leopard 10.6 but i guess thats not going to work?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac model and specs is this?

OP
M
Reaction score
2006 white macbook. western digital hd 160 gb- brand new. no recovery disk at all. so i have nothing. i dont want to spend 160 bucks on new software if not necessary

C

chas_m

From what you've said, YES the $30 Snow Leopard disk will work for you. You'll still need to buy iLife later on, but that's another purchase for another day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Your new hard drive will need to be formatted for Mac before you can install Snow Leopard. When the CD runs for the install, look for something that offers "Utilities". From there, run Disk Utility to format your HDD.

OP
M
Reaction score
ok thanks for the responses. I will buy the snow leopard disk for 30 bucks from best buy and apple and i will try and install it and hope it works from there. SOOO if i put snow leopard disk in,, the hard drive will be formatted when I run disk utilities or will I have to format before install? if thats the case im not sure how to do that. Im a little bit of a noob when it comes to mac. thankss let me know.

M

MacInWin

OSX will boot from the CD. On the first try, don't install, just look at the top bar for Utilities and then Disk Utility and then select the internal drive, partition and format it and then you can quit from Disk Utility and finish the installation. Look at this from Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.