Installed OSX on wrong hard drive

Reaction score
I was running 10.4 and upgraded to 10.5.4 but i accidentally installed it on my 2nd internal hard drive.

None of the programs on my original boot drive work now. And things like my bookmarks and itunes library were not transferred over.

the old user is now on my original boot drive and a new user was created and installed on my 2nd hard drive.

hope that makes sense. this is a little over my head as far as how to proceed. i don't think it matter which internal drive the os is on, but like i said all my old programs were installed on the OTHER drive and now don't work.

If reinstall os on my 1st drive will that mess anything up? or how do proceed?

thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can't you just reinstall it again, but this time to the first hard drive? I don't see why it wouldn't work. To be on the safe side, make a backup first. After you get it installed correctly, wipe the second hard drive and use for whatever else you desire - or you could just leave it that way.

OP
U
Reaction score
yeah, i that's what i was going to do but i wanted to get some input on if that would work. i got in touch with a friend who knows more about this and he verified that would work.

thanks for the response!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.