Lion disconnects network drive after sleep

Reaction score
Sorry if there is an answer to this elsewhere. I didn't see anything quite like my problem when I was searching.

I've had the same setup on my network since Mac Tiger. So, I've gone through a number of upgrades with this, with no real problems (there is another Macbook in the house, still on Snow Leopard, experiencing none of the following issues). I have a Linux server that serves up a number of volumes via SAMBA, so that the 4 Macs and the one lone Windows PC in our house can all access the drives easily.

Prior to Lion, when my Macbook Pro would wake from sleep, these drives would reconnect with no issues. With 10.7, I was having severe WiFI issues on wake (like many I see here), where sometimes I'd have to go so far as to turn off the AirPort to reconnect. With 10.7.1 that seems to have remedied itself. However, it's still "slow". Slow enough that all of the network drives disconnect themselves. This is, of course, vexing, because my iTunes media folder location is on one of these drives, and most of my referenced photos for Aperture are on these drives. Each of these programs does odd things when disconnected. iTunes will play music on the music drive once reconnected, but shows the location as "blank" and if I then try to purchase new music it ends up putting the location back to my local hard drive, even though the music location has returned. If Aperture is open when the disconnection happens after a wake, it thinks the referenced files are "missing" even though the drive is back, until I close Aperture and reopen. I also experienced a very strange problem with Aperture last night that may be related. I generally put new photos in the "pictures" folder of my Mac, because it's easy. Then I import those photos by reference into Aperture, file them around into the proper projects, and then "relocate" the referenced masters for those projects out onto the network. I've done this for years as well with great success. But last night, I did this to about 300 photos, and while all 300 photos ended up on the network drive as desired, only 100 actually deleted from the local folder. I had to go in and do a compare to manually delete the photos from the Mac's local drive. I'm not sure why the two would be related, but since Aperture was unhappy about the network drive going missing in the middle of being "open", that's all I can attribute it to.

Oh - my wireless encryption is WPA2 in case anyone is interested. I saw some other threads that suggested that if it was WEP this could be an issue, but I'm not using WEP. And my router is at the top of the list of remembered connections. It's the only one in my range that I've ever connected to anyway, but it's at the top of the list regardless.

So, I guess what I need is a way to change the timeout for these shares so they do not just give up while the Airport is reconnecting. What I REALLY need is for the Airport to wake up as quickly as it did with all of the preceding versions of Mac OS, but in the meantime I'm happy with a workaround.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Danita

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Check to see if your networking drive offers the latest firmware for Lion compatibility.
WD just offered theirs a week or two ago.

OP
D
Reaction score
Actually, my "network drive" is a Linux server, as mentioned above. It's SLES10 and is serving up the drives as Samba, which should simply look like a windows share to the Mac. This is not a "device" like a NAS. That said, I do have a ReadyNAS NVX that has updated firmware used for Time Machine. It works fine while plugged in via Ethernet in my office, but also often gives an error right after the Mac wakes up if it is running over Airport. It just takes too long for the Airport to connect as far as I can tell. If I'm plugged in Ethernet and the Mac sleeps, there are no errors when it wakes up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Maybe this is one of the things 10.7.2 might address that should be out soon.

Reaction score
Maybe this is one of the things 10.7.2 might address that should be out soon.
Have you found a solution already, I'm also trying to find a workaround because it's rather annoying having to manually reconnect to my shares

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo mac book 2gigs ram, 16gig Ipad 2, 16gig Nano, 2 32gig Iphone 4s
Have you found a solution for this? I am having the same issue's since upgrade to Lion. I have to reconnect to the network manually after every sleep and wake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo mac book 2gigs ram, 16gig Ipad 2, 16gig Nano, 2 32gig Iphone 4s
I went to the apple store yesterday and this is what they did.
Deleted wifi in network settings and then re-added it
Deleted networks that I connect to
And deleted locations and added a new one
It seems to have worked. All is good now
I hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.