Just upgraded Mac now my brother hl2170w printer won't work?

Reaction score
I updated my Mac system software (I'm on 10.6.8) and my brother printer software, restarted the computer and now my brother printer HL2170w won't work. It says we need a software update but there is nothing else to updat to! As I just this problem started after we updated the Mac system software and the printer software! Any ideas on how to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Did you do a software update (the Mac) after you connected the printer ?

OP
S
Reaction score
Did you do a software update (the Mac) after you connected the printer ?

The brother software and Mac software were updated at the some time because in software updates I just hit update all so it updated like 10 things including the printer software at once and the printer was plugged in while everything was updating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I've read of printer problems with either an upgrade or an update to the MacOS, requiring updated drivers from the printer's manufacturer. It may take some time, as in days, possibly weeks, but you can do your bit by notifying Brother.

[I had to do this with my two Canon printers, but the Brother HL2040 didn't require anything fortunately. I suggest you do as I do and avoid the printer updates provided by Apple. Stick with what the printer manufacturer provides.]

Just to clarify - are you NOW operating OS 10.6.8 (SLPd) or have you moved to Lion?

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm on 10.6.8 but I reinstalled the print software from the original disk and now it works! Anyone know how to get this printer to work with AirPrint?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.