Dropped Powerbook! Casing....

S

Steel02001

So my fiance dropped my 12" powerbook this morning. Still in perfect working order, however, it landed directly on the corner buckling it so now the corner has a buckle about 1/4 inch to the left when looking at it from the front. Can this be fixed does anyone know? If so how much am I looking at?

Please say its fixable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
http://www.pbfixit.com/

It is about 200 bucks for the top and 200 for the bottom, so depending on where the damage is it will cost either 200 or 400 bucks for you to do it yourself, much more to have apple do it

OP
M

menace3054

oohh id be looking for a new fiance, heh j/k, sorry to hear about the powerbook :( hopefully youll only need one part of the casing, good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you can try to just make it look better, by opening the case and trying to push it back out, or hammer it back out depending on how stiff it is.. it that does not work you will need to buy the new parts for the prices stated above, pbfixit.com has diagrams and instructions on how to take apart the powerbook.

OP
S

Steel02001

Its just the bottom fortunately. How hard is this to do, fixing it myself, does anyone know?

OP
S

sursuciofla

Steel02001 said:
So my fiance dropped my 12" powerbook this morning. Still in perfect working order, however, it landed directly on the corner buckling it so now the corner has a buckle about 1/4 inch to the left when looking at it from the front. Can this be fixed does anyone know? If so how much am I looking at?

Please say its fixable.

As long as it works I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even if you think you may want to sell it one day by then the parts and labor(if you don't do it yourself) will be a lot cheaper by then. So don't worry about it. I am the same way about my stuff but accidents happen. Get it in writing, "If this engagement is broken blank shall pay for damages resulted from the dropping of this powerbook." LOL. :black:

OP
J

joeytomatoes

Post a !@#^%$ picture so we can see the damage and give you the fix.

OP
S

Steel02001

I will post a picture on saturday night, thats the soonest I can get it. Its the lower case, it just needs to be either pushed back in or a new lower case all together. Looks like it was nailed on the head by the guys.

I e-mailed the pbfixit.com and they dont have the parts for my computer in yet, I might call apple since it is under warranty but I doubt they will do anything for me.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Yeah Apple won't cover it unless it is a manu. defect or hardware malfunction.

OP
M

menace3054

tell them it simultaneously imploded while you were using it, and it was so startling you almost had a heart attack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Steel02001 said:
Its just the bottom fortunately. How hard is this to do, fixing it myself, does anyone know?

It would be easier if it was the top case...
To change the bottom case, you take nearly the whole PowerBook apart, as you need to take everything out.
Needs time, patience, and a way not to mix up the screws.

I think pbfixit.com has also guides about how to change the parts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.