Should I install Lion or not?

Reaction score
Hi

I have Lion working well on my new iMac 27" and MBP 13". These machines have 16Gb and 8Gb or RAM respectively. They came with Lion installed. However, I also have a second, white 2007 iMac running Snow Leopard, and it is maxed out at 2.5Gb RAM.

I am considering installing Lion on the older iMac but have been told that it does' really have enough RAM and it would be best to stick with Snow Leopard. Is this actually the case or would you advise going ahead with Lion.

I like the idea of using the new OS features like Airdrop on all my machines but don't want to struggle with performance if Lion makes too many demands on my old iMac.

All advice gratefully received.

Willie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lion really needs 4 GB of memory in order to function with any kind of real speed and mix. I would probably leave the iMac running Snow Leopard.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks chscag. This confirms what I have been told. I will probably just leave it then.

Willie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It also makes it nice to run legacy apps if you need to since Lion will not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.