• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie error(-108)

Reaction score
When exporting a movie to my external harddrive in iMovie 11 i keep getting the error (-108). In an error list this means. Ran out of memory [not enough room in heap zone].

My external harddrive has been formatted to extended journaled so that i can transfer the 12Gb movie size.

The export starts but then after a few minutes gives me the error.

I have 200Gb free space on external harddrive so it is not a space issue.

Please help as i thought i had worked out how to play my hi-def movie on my tv by using a harddrive and a media player.

C

chas_m

How much space you have on the external hard drive is moot. How much is there on your boot drive?

OP
S
Reaction score
Which drive is the boot drive?

If it is my main Macintosh HD I have 238 GB free.

If not let me know and I will check.

OP
S
Reaction score
More help with iMovie

Can you please help with the above.

Which drive is the boot drive and can you step-by-step me through the process of checking the amount of memory and ridding myself of error -108.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Your boot drive is the drive that your computer boots from. In 99.9% of cases, this will be your Mac's internal drive, MacHD.

You have plenty of space on both drives.

How are you trying to transfer the movie? Exporting the movie or by moving the Project to the external drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
i have made my movie on iMovie and am now using the export function. I am exporting it in Hidef format to a external hard drive that has been formated to mac os extended journaled. My mate has been doing the same thing on his MBP using same iMovie and same format on externa l hard drive but he doesnt get the error. All i want to do is watch the movie i created on my TV via a media player. Help Help Help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Try exporting it to your internal drive. Try exporting it to your mate's external drive. Get your mate to try exporting from his Mac to your external drive. Do you get the same error in any of these scenarios?

OP
S
Reaction score
Tried exporting to my internal hard drive and i still get error -108 after a few minutes. I have been unable to try on my friends hard drive as i am not at work at the moment.

Come on all you mac experts!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.