FileVault Issues

Reaction score
Ever since I first enabled FileVault it has been eating away at my disk space and now I have just under 3 GB left.

Here's a screenshot to help explain my problem.

SN0E4.png

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I already read this Mac OS X 10.4: FileVault - "There isn't enough space on your hard disk..." alert however, I'm hoping there's a more simple way to fix this problem.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know if this will work or not. I figured File Vault was bad juju reading the reviews of these sorts of problems when I got my first Mac, so I have never used it. But, here's what I would try.

Clone your drive to your external backup (I'd say probably need a 500GB or larger partition) using CCC or SD!.

Boot to the external drive, turn off file vault on it.

When it's done and you've verified your stuff is there and safe. Clone the external back to your internal drive.

Oh, and don't turn file vault on again unless you've got super secret spy stuff on there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.