Replacement HDD, unable to install OSX 10.5.6

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought a Seagate Momentus ST905003N3A1AS-RK HDD just an hour ago, put it into my 13" MBP for software installation and I am getting repeated requests:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button"

So I restart, hold C, get the same message about 2 minutes later... Any suggestions? I don't even GET to the formatting, partitioning, etc.

EDIT: After several more tries, I got frustrated and took out the OSX 10.5.6 DVD and pulled out my OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) UPGRADE DVD and tried it. I don't understand how I have success using the UPGRADE DVD but failed using the Restore DVD... Thanks to the readers anyway!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Because you were using the wrong restore DVD? That symptom is typical of using an incorrect version of OS X to boot your machine. The Snow Leopard DVD worked because it's a retail version upgrade.

OP
F
Reaction score
I'm not sure how choosing the disc labeled "MAC OS X 10.5.6" that came with my computer should be any different than choosing the upgrade DVD I bought separately. Didn't matter anyhow, I just needed to boot in and partition the drive so I could use my Time Machine backup.

The increase in performance for my upgrades was so significant! Best investment I've made in months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.