Lion and battery consumption ...... shockingly bad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985
I have a late 2008 15" MacBookPro ..... spec here ........

ScreenShot2011-09-03at182424.jpg

since the Lion "upgrade" my battery life has dropped to around 90 mins under "light" usage. I've done the 2 x resets suggested; alt/cmd/p/r reboot and the other one [forgot what it's called]. Still Lion "eats" my battery power

So, anyone got the inside tale of when Apple will sort this?

I must say, for the 1st time in 26 years as a Mac user, I'm pretty much annoyed beyond all possible belief by this shockingly poor low rent muppetational upgrade. :Angry:

Comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
What is the "Cycle Count" on your battery?
(Can be found under the "About this Mac" menu item).

OP
karlos2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985
Charge Remaining (mAh): 2160
Fully Charged: No
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4115
Health Information: Cycle Count: 381
Condition: Normal

I had my older battery in that had a 200 cycle count and this behaves the same.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Whether Apple does something about this in the next patch (10.7.2) is anyone's guess. What is illusive about the battery usage and quicker drain with Lion, is that it does not effect all Mac notebook computers.

One thing that will run the battery down somewhat is that Time Machine runs (makes backups) whether or not its external hard drive is attached. It backs up to the internal hard drive and then exports that to the external once it's attached again. You can turn off automatic backups from the Time Machine system preference panel to see if that helps.

Otherwise, the solution to better battery usage is downgrade back to Snow Leopard until Apple addresses the problem. Note: They have yet to acknowledge that there is a problem.

OP
karlos2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whether Apple does something about this in the next patch (10.7.2) is anyone's guess. What is illusive about the battery usage and quicker drain with Lion, is that it does not effect all Mac notebook computers.

One thing that will run the battery down somewhat is that Time Machine runs (makes backups) whether or not its external hard drive is attached. It backs up to the internal hard drive and then exports that to the external once it's attached again. You can turn off automatic backups from the Time Machine system preference panel to see if that helps.

Otherwise, the solution to better battery usage is downgrade back to Snow Leopard until Apple addresses the problem. Note: They have yet to acknowledge that there is a problem.

cheers, Time Machine is always off here as I back up rarely. I'll just drink beer and complain whenever I can get a hearing :Smirk:

Terrible really, I always thought Apple were better than this, I was pleased to roam in Benz territory, but seems I'm now actually running a Ford. great :Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Terrible really, I always thought Apple were better than this, I was pleased to roam in Benz territory, but seems I'm now actually running a Ford. great :Confused:

I know how important battery runtime can be to a laptop user. But it hardly seems fair to give Apple such a bad "wrap" after the Lion upgrade.

I bet that you were very very happy with your MacBook Pro when you were running Snow Leopard (10.6)...so things really shouldn't change 180 degrees so quickly. If there truly is a problem with some Apple laptop models and the Lion upgrade...let's hope it gets resolved (and resolved soon).:)

This is possibly one of the hazards of being an early adopter of a new OS version. I still haven't upgraded any of my Mac's to Lion (but I've been tempted)!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Roll back to Snow Leopard, it really is the only solid solution. I really don't believe that Apple would publicly acknowledge this bug anyway, especially with their emphasis on their portables battery life. Will there be a fix? I'd wager there will be. When? Not a clue. Will it be announced in the fix list? Also not a clue.

OP
karlos2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know how important battery runtime can be to a laptop user. But it hardly seems fair to give Apple such a bad "wrap" after the Lion upgrade.

I bet that you were very very happy with your MacBook Pro when you were running Snow Leopard (10.6)...so things really shouldn't change 180 degrees so quickly. If there truly is a problem with some Apple laptop models and the Lion upgrade...let's hope it gets resolved (and resolved soon).:)

This is possibly one of the hazards of being an early adopter of a new OS version. I still haven't upgraded any of my Mac's to Lion (but I've been tempted)!;)

- Nick

I buy a product, I expect it to work. I like progress to be demonstrable. This is not progress. I don't think Apple are going to worry too much about how things are at 'Chez Karlos'. I simply feel it's a tawdry & poor show to have not Beta tested it more widely. I would be embarassed ... but hey, I have higher standards it would seem. Let's hope they wake up & catch up ...... ;D

** hum.

On the bright side, I could have Windows Vista, in which case I would top myself.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Roll back to Snow Leopard, it really is the only solid solution. I really don't believe that Apple would publicly acknowledge this bug anyway, especially with their emphasis on their portables battery life. Will there be a fix? I'd wager there will be. When? Not a clue. Will it be announced in the fix list? Also not a clue.

It would sure be nice if Apple would come out with a fix...if this battery issue is truly related to Lion, and not an individual issue.

Being that the OP's MacBook Pro is a 2008 model...who knows if the age (older) is a "demotivating" factor for an Apple fix. I have a 2007 MBP...and if I upgraded to Lion...I wouldn't want to experience the same battery issue.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I buy a product, I expect it to work. I like progress to be demonstrable. This is not progress. I don't think Apple are going to worry too much about how things are at 'Chez Karlos'. I simply feel it's a tawdry & poor show to have not Beta tested it more widely. I would be embarassed ... but hey, I have higher standards it would seem. Let's hope they wake up & catch up ...... ;D

If you've been an Apple "fanboy" since 1985 (very similar to my own Apple product experience)...you've seen MUCH worse issues & changes from Apple in the last 26 years than this!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I have the same issue with my battery since installing Lion. I thought it was just me. I have 200 load cycles on my macbook pro. The way our electrical outlets are set up in our house I use the battery quite often. I guess it's time for extension cords. I wish they made the cord just a little longer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I know you've mentioned this a time or two now. Have you found any rhyme or reason to it? Like a runaway process, or something consuming CPU cycles abnormally? I have to wonder what in particular is drawing so much more power - it has to be a daemon or something phoning home and using WiFi more actively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I know you've mentioned this a time or two now. Have you found any rhyme or reason to it? Like a runaway process, or something consuming CPU cycles abnormally? I have to wonder what in particular is drawing so much more power - it has to be a daemon or something phoning home and using WiFi more actively.
Nope, no runaways, no zombies. This would occur with less than 4% CPU utilization and WELL after spotlight and time machine had completed indexing. For the record, iostat also showed a pretty non-exciting disk usage at the time. Resetting the SMC, PRAM, and recalibrating the battery didn't resolve it. In the end, the only thing that did was reverting. Happily back to more than 2 hours of battery life.

Oh and at the time, the battery was as follows:

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6817

Cycle Count: 29

Condition: Normal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have not seen this problem at all and i have run my MBP on battery more in Lion than i have in SL. I only have 70odd cycles, and when i use it off Battery is when watching TV via my Elegato Dongle. Im getting around 3 Hrs TV time on average, with the screen set at just under half brightness.
Heck its not the battery life that has me wanting to roll back. Im Missing something major for me in System Preferences :(

EDIT - @OP do you have iStat Menus installed ??
I was thinking bc everyone is going on about processes, i wondered what my Mac was pulling power wise in all my components, So i opened up iStat and this is a screen shot of all Volts/Watts used.
20110903-ra8rq1jwwug425sx331ap8pd6u.jpg
With me not having battery problems would be nice to have something to check against.
Down the bottom when i pull put the Power Cord shows 00.0W for DC and 30.00w for Battery.

Cheers

OP
karlos2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you've been an Apple "fanboy" since 1985 (very similar to my own Apple product experience)...you've seen MUCH worse issues & changes from Apple in the last 26 years than this!!!;)

- Nick
Indeed. Do you not remember my comments back then? :Smirk:

Actually, come to think of it, my first purchase was in summer '84. Those were the days. How time zooms by.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
karlos2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
duplicate post

OP
karlos2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you mean your comments on the "internet" in 1985?;)

- Nick

on a soap box, at Hyde Park Corner ........ most choice. :Smirk:

is it true, what they say about irony?

OP
karlos2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking bc everyone is going on about processes, i wondered what my Mac was pulling power wise in all my components, So i opened up iStat and this is a screen shot of all Volts/Wa With me not having battery problems would be nice to have something to check against.
Down the bottom when i pull put the Power Cord shows 00.0W for DC and 30.00w for Battery.

Cheers

here we go .........

ScreenShot2011-09-04at085128.jpg

****** Update ******

I did both the SMC & PRAM resets yesterday afternoon. Then I fitted my older [original] battery and left the MacBook on charge overnight.

This morning after an hours useage, I'm showing 68% power left, which is a massive improvement.

So, worth a try folks. Before the resets I would get 90mins use to flat maximum.

here's the score after an hour

ScreenShot2011-09-04at092247.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.