JUST purchased a Macbook Pro 13 inch i7(early 2011)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I apologize for my first post being a variation of the most frequently asked question around (I know this because I DID search). However, the answers i read didn't completely satisfy me.

Regardless, heres my question:

I just purchased a MacBook Pro 13 Inch i7 version (not the i5). I love it, its great. The small screen size doesn't really bother me as I don't graphic design and I play games VERY rarely (I do enjoy Bioshock and Borderlands though).

Anyways, I am pondering if i should shell out the extra $300 to get the 15 inch with the quad core and all the other stuff. The ONLY reason i would do that is because i plan on keeping this computer for a extended period of time (3 or 4 years) and I want my computer to still be really quick and up-to-date. So if my MacBook Pro 13 inch i7 SHOULD be fine in 3 years I will keep it...but if it will be outdated and the 15 inch won't be outdated then i will be inclined to switch..... (I also do realize technology does grow rapidly and it is nearly impossible to assume that any computer will be up-to-date performance wise in 3 years, but all I am looking for is a guess pretty much)

Cheers,
Jack

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyways, I am pondering if i should shell out the extra $300 to get the 15 inch with the quad core and all the other stuff. The ONLY reason i would do that is because i plan on keeping this computer for a extended period of time (3 or 4 years) and I want my computer to still be really quick and up-to-date. So if my MacBook Pro 13 inch i7 SHOULD be fine in 3 years I will keep it...but if it will be outdated and the 15 inch won't be outdated then i will be inclined to switch..... (I also do realize technology does grow rapidly and it is nearly impossible to assume that any computer will be up-to-date performance wise in 3 years, but all I am looking for is a guess pretty much).

I think to boil things down a little more simply is...your question probably should be:

"If I want to keep my Mac laptop for 3-4 years...would I be better off with a quad-core computer rather than a dual-core?"

All the verbiage about the 13" and 15" display is really not important...other than that the quad-core cpu only comes in the 15" model.

Regarding your question...it doesn't sound like your computing needs are so great that in 3-4 years you will have issues. I'm still using a 2007 MacBook Pro (4 years old now) with 2 gig of ram...and I'm doing just fine.:)

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I think to boil things down a little more simply is...your question probably should be:

"If I want to keep my Mac laptop for 3-4 years...would I be better off with a quad-core computer rather than a dual-core?"

All the verbiage about the 13" and 15" display is really not important...other than that the quad-core cpu only comes in the 15" model.

Regarding your question...it doesn't sound like your computing needs are so great that in 3-4 years you will have issues. I'm still using a 2007 MacBook Pro (4 years old now) with 2 gig of ram...and I'm doing just fine.:)

HTH,:)

- Nick

Haha, yeah pretty much my question... I also purchased the i7 instead of the i5 if that means anything. Thanks for the answer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Haha, yeah pretty much my question... I also purchased the i7 instead of the i5 if that means anything. Thanks for the answer.

One additional thought regarding your question. The one thing that could change whether your new computer is nearly as "usable or useful" in 3-4 years as it is today...is if your computing needs remain the same as they are today. If your computing needs were all of a sudden to drastically change...then that would or could certainly change things.

But honestly...I think that you'll be fine. I know that you said that the 13" display size isn't an issue...but if it were me...I would be more likely to have an issue with the smallness of the 13" display during the next 3-4 years of ownership than I would about the dual-core vs. quad-core cpu question.

Of course the 13" display is what helps it be lighter, smaller, and more portable then the 15" MBP. My wife loves her 13" MacBook for that very reason!:)

- Nick

p.s. And if you do find yourself needing a bigger display from time to time...you can always plug in a larger external display.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Drive and Mac Pro (Early 2009)16GB RAM 2TB x4 Hard Drive
As I read how you use computer, I think you'll be fine with it. In my opinion it's not necessary to follow up to date or best specification as long as it does the job done for you. Intel's Core i series are quite great CPUs and I think it's OK to use for 3 to 4 years.

We have been using computers in every industry (such as Publishing, Music, Film and etc... ) for many years ago. What do they have at that time? G5, G4, G3 or older but they can create really great works. So we should think it like this "If many people can produce great works with older systems, why can't we make as good or better works with current system?" I think we shouldn't worry about specification too much.

I was in the same situation. Here is my story that I'd like to share.

I was using Macbook 2007 Core Duo 2.0GHz with 2GB of RAM for 4 years before I switched to MBP 13" i5 early 2011. My old macbook couldn't run many of my Logic Pro's projects from my mac pro and Core Duo doesn't support with Lion. So I decided it's time to upgrade.

I was questioning myself the same question too. I really want to buy 15" because of Quad core i7 and ATi graphic. I have enough money but I feel like it's quite a lot of money for me.

I'm happy with my desktop and I think if I could manage Macbook to work for 4 years so I think I'll be fine with MBP 13" with i5 processor and I was right. It can run all my projects that couldn't run on my old core duo and my friend's core2duo machines. So that's good enough for me.

It might not be best laptop there is at the moment but it fit my needs and It won't bother me if next up coming MBP 13" has better processor 'coz I already have what I need.

So, I think you don't need to be pondering 'coz I think you already have what you need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.