No PPBE_Boot partition after encryption install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
Hi folks,

I just got done "installing" Check Point FDE as a requirement for one of my work laptops, a brand new 15" MBP.

Immediately on boot (the drive hasn't even started encrypting yet), I get a "No PPBE_BOOT partition found error, along with "Can't add PPBE partition" and "Not enough free space found, can't add PPBE Partition".

I booted to disk utility and did a repair on the volume, and when I boot option held down, I see a CPFDE_Install partition and the Recovery HD.

I realize this would normally be a better question for Checkpont, but their forums have no information on it and seem generally ignored by their tech staff. I believe all I need to do is make the device bootable again, but I'm not sure how.

Any insight you folks might have would be really appreciated. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The installer may be "balking" when it sees the three partitions that are already there: EFI, System, and Recovery. The new Lion partitioning scheme has already impacted on several utilities causing them not to be able to run as normal.

I don't know if that's the reason you're having difficulties, but it's possible. Try to find out if Check Point is compatible with Lion. Let us know.

OP
Seventh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pardon, this is actually on Snow Leopard. I did give Lion a shot with the same installer and I have the same issue. Here's an "old-fashioned screen shot". :)

1.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just did some reading on their site. It looks like the software is compatible with Snow Leopard. The site offers no information at all and when I tried to access their system description they wanted my "name, rank, and serial number" before allowing me to view it. I wasn't about to sign up for their propaganda. :(

The only suggestion I have is to try to contact their support and find out why you can't encrypt a brand new hard drive. Don't use their forum, send email direct to support.

OP
Seventh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I discovered the problem for this, so hopefully this may help anyone finding this on google.

The problem with the current version of FDE is that it can't handle OSX Lion's recovery HD partition. The only way around it that I've found is to erase/delete the Recovery HD partition, merge it with the standard partition and then reinstall. As long as I have a single partition, Checkpoint installs with no problem.

My issue now is that I'm trying to figure out how to do it without having to wipe the Snow Leopard install that I have on my own machine. If I delete/merge with diskutil, it's destructive. If someone could recommend a tool that would let me merge my SL partition with the extra space from the deleted one, I'd appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.