Can someone help with sound not working issue on my macbook please?

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here, sorry if this isn't the right place to post this query but having read the other options, it seemed the nearest? please advise if there's a better place....

My sound has stopped working. I have had a good hunt on here and generally on google and tried checking the system preferences and similar ideas before asking on here. Generally it went like this:

Suddenly discovered had no sound when I thought it was just on mute and tried to turn it up and instead of the usual box that appears I got one that just had a line of dots that didn't move and no speaker symbol.

then realised the speaker symbol on the top toolbar was unlit and without the sound graphic.

tried the above options of checking the system preferences, it didn't even show my built in speakers as an option.

called Mac support and a nice guy went through the procedure of checking and repairing something on the computer, and I'm really sorry but I can't remember what that was, though I'd recognise it if someone said it to me. just involved clicking a few buttons and waiting a while for the system to do something.....

he said at the end of that if it didn't work it was probably a sound card issue and I'd need to try re-installing the OS and if that didn't work, take it to the apple shop as it meant the sound card was gone

I haven't had a chance to back up my computer til now but in the last few days the speaker symbol has become lit again and if I go into system preferences, it shows the built in speakers but still no sound. Then today it made the start up noise. I got excited, but then it wouldn't play and music or video and when I went in to change volume it disappeared again, so left it.

Then started computer again just now and I got the start up sound again, and still have the speaker symbol and the prefs state it's there and everything but still no video or music sound.....?

Sorry for all the info but I don't know what you do and don't need to know :)

if anyone can advise anything at all just in case it does't need a new sound card, I would be very grateful

regards

LT

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi. thanks for reading :)

No, I don't and tbh I've never noticed one before either? is that good or bad?

LTx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The red light means the sound switched to digital. But if you have no red light then that's not the problem. Before you take the machine in to Apple, try running the Apple Hardware Test to see if it can pinpoint something.

Sometimes the headphone jack may get stuck in headphone mode and that will reroute sound from the speakers to the headphones. Have you tried to plug in a set of headphones to see if you can receive sound through them?

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your advice

will try the hardware test tomorrow

re headphones, I read about that and tried it, but there's no sound in the headphones either :eek:( and it didn't sort the issue when I unplugged them again either as some advice suggested

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also try resetting the NVRAM on your computer. Speaker volume is controlled through the NVRAM but I'm not sure if the audio system is. See this LINK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.